Tax Cheat

Discussion in 'Accounting and Taxes' started by foreverest, Feb 22, 2010.

1. foreverest

foreverest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is reported that "More Americans are fudging their taxes and an increasing number of people are scared of being audited, a survey from the IRS Oversight Board shows. Thirteen percent of those surveyed said cheating is acceptable, according to an annual poll conducted for the Internal Revenue Service Oversight Board. That's up 4% from 2008. Four percent of Americans said they cheat on their taxes "as much as possible," up 1% from the year before."
    What about you?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An unfortunate impact of the recession is that more business is done in the black market. As people come under strong financial pressure they are more likely to look for different ways to increase their income and reduce their outgoings, even if some of the things they do are not strictly legal.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cheating to other people is the same as cheating yourself.

4. foreverest

foreverest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

However, some companies exist the problem of tax evasion and tax fraud.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the biggest source of corruption and gluttony on money. Many people and large companies only want to make money and they don't pay taxes. Then, when there's a low tax collection, the tax deficit will be passed on normal citizens.

6. ASAmoto

ASAmoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those who evade tax will be punished by the law sooner or later.

7. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's in a test lol. I think it depends if you want to run the risk of getting caught or not, I'm not sure the tax rate in the US but in the UK it's 25% of everything you make, so thats a big cut out and a lot of people will avoid it if they can.

8. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the problem when you have a tax system where the majority have to file their own tax returns. In the UK if you are employed then you don't file your own return and thus the normal person cannot cheat. In Germany everyone files their own return and it is clearly open to abuse. One simple abuse is the use of transport to work. If I use the train I cannot claim for it as the spend is under a certain amount, however, if I drive to work then I can write down a certain amount on my tax form which would most likely lead to getting a pay back of a few hundred euros.. there are many more examples..

People will only commit these acts when the chance is there to do so, the Govts have the power to change the policies to make fraud less appealing and harder to do, but they are too lazy and have got themselves into a bad shape financially so cannot do it.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it can be applied in everyday life, not just in a text or examination.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I spent six months living and working in Germany, when I was a student. You notice a few things in Germany that rely on the public's honesty, that you would not see in Ireland or in the UK. For example, their unmanned newspaper stands where you could take a newspaper without paying if you wanted and their U Bahn system which appears to have very few checks to stop non paying customers.

It's surprising that the government would financially reward people for driving to work, when taking public transport is much better for the environment and for reducing traffic congestion.

11. maple

maple
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it worth a few years in prision to save a few hundred bucks on taxes? I'd so no. Come on now people.