Taking the plunge/What office?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by howdoi, Jul 19, 2010.

1. howdoi

howdoi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've just started advertising my services as a public speaking instructor. I have to admit a fair amount of trepidation. Of course I am hoping that hundreds of people will jump at the chance to pay me lots and lots of money, but in all honesty, if I can get a few bookings per month, that would work fine for me.

So, one question I have is: How often do companies get consultants to come to their office for training seminars? Do they prefer to have staff trained at their location, or would they rather send people out of the office? I would think it easier to get people to come to work, since either way, they're spending a day doing training, instead of their usual duties. As well, the cost is cheaper if I don't have to rent a space for the day, as I can pass these savings onto the client.

Let me know your thoughts on this. I'd love to get other opinions.

Cheers!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Congratulations on starting your new business howdoi. I wish you the very best of luck with it. Your posts here show that you have a strong knowledge of the subject. Have you got a website or blog that you use to promote your services?

Different companies will have different views as to where they would like the training to be carried out. Some companies will have training facilities and would prefer to use them, whereas other companies will have a preference for getting away from the office and doing their training off site. The best approach for you would be to offer both options. Explain to your contacts that you can do the training at their office or if they prefer, you can source and organise a suitable location (such as a hotel conference centre) to deliver the training.

That will very much depend on the company, some companies will have trainers in almost all of the time and others will almost never bring in trainers. The trick for you will obviously be to identify and target perspective clients who could be interested in your services. One way of doing this could be to keep your eyes open for upcoming conferences and seminars, then contact the speakers and offer them your services directly

Once again, good luck with it and please do let us know if you have any further questions.

3. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Howdoi,

I think that a lot can depend on the job functions of the students you are teaching plus the type and size of the organization.

For example, I used to be an IT contractor and worked for quite a few blue chip companies. The last outfit I worked for in such a capacity was Pepsico. They obviously are a very large outfit and have a lot of money to splash around. As I worked in a support environment, nearly all of the training was performed off site. If it was carried out on site there would have been too many disturbances from other departments wanting problems sorted out and the training probably would have been a waste of time.

Generally speaking, the more successful companies will probably have more spare office space and better facilities. In times of recession I suppose that these are the type of companies that you will want to target as you will be able to bring the costs down of your presentations.

Be positive and good luck - Mike Dove.

4. howdoi

howdoi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replies. Its sounds odd, but once you start advertising your services, and I don't know if this is normal, but you start to get these crazy thoughts about not being able to do this or that; in other words, doubts.

But if I don't attempt this, then I will end up sitting around saying to myself "gee, i wish i had tried".

Now all I have to do is get a brand new iPhone 4, since the one thing that ensures success is having the newest and greatest phone on the market.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's normal and it's good for you. It will keep you on your toes and get you motivated to provide the best service you are capable of. Welcome that nervousness and be grateful for it, it's much better than being easy going and unconcerned by the work in front of you.