Taking on an apprentice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Tara Balding, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Tara Balding

Tara Balding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im afraid I completely new to forums and am probably lost at the entrance, but i just was looking for information and advice on taking on apprentices in the uk.
    I have an upholstery business which has been ticking over part time while i have been bringing up a small brood, but i have so much work i haven't a hope of getting through. I have tried taking people (two) on but by the time i have trained them enough to possibly be of any help, they have left to have babies or just not been reliable enough.

There is no formal college corse to run along side my business.

I know that the government are taking a good look at apprenticeships but having tried to watch a discussion on tv last night, the guy was constantly talked over by the opposition and host and i was left none the wiser.

do you think its worth waiting to see exactly what motives for taking on young people they may off in the near future.

thank you

2. NewRealms

NewRealms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Tara,

Absolutely do NOT wait for any government when you livelihood is involved.
    Keep an ear out, but do not wait.

I am sure you have some business schools in your area. Approach them to get
    advice. Work on your interviewing skills to determine if the person who might
    be interested is willing to stick it out for the long haul. You've already had some
    experience in what to ask potential apprentices.

Keep us posted. Sounds great that you've got more business than you can
    handle. It's everyone's dream.

RICK

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hiring employees can be a pain and there is no way (short of signing a contract) of making them stay long term. When interviewing try to read between the lines. asking things like "where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?" "Why do you want to work here?" can give you some insight into what their long term goals are.
    Once you have chosen someone to hire, how you treat them can have a huge inpact on if they stay. I know from personal experience the difference between being hired because they need "somebody" and being hired to become a part of the team. At the end of the day there is no fool proof way to get an employee who will stay until you retire, but the more you can find out about them the better.
    I also agree with Newrealms,
    "Absolutely do NOT wait for any government when you livelihood is involved.
    Keep an ear out, but do not wait. "

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tara Balding

Tara Balding
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your replies.

am off to see an advisor this week.

tara