Taking Any suggestions/advice for my business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Mr Topatoe, May 12, 2010.

1. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right now me and my best friend for about 3 years have decided to start our gaming business. The problem is we're basically running on fumes because we have no money and no programs. The stuff we do have is the talent, imagination, and determination to actually stick this thing through to the end. We are still working on our first project, we're getting the site soon, we are also planning on getting the name copyrighted soon. I would like to know your personal opinion of our situation, and if you have any advice to offer.
    Thanks!
    ~Mr. Topatoe

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So what are your plans? Are you planning on building a website on gaming niche?
    Or make a flash gaming site so visitors can play online? Or making a site for a game you recently developed?

3. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The website is basically going to serve as an hq for all our games. Then we make each game a site, but just have it on a sub-domain from the original. Our first few games might be kind of small, so yeah, the userbase may be able to play a few online. Also we are planning on setting up a forum for it!

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's such as good plan. However, you need to really spend time on the forum if you really want to run the forum at the moment you launch your game site. I will suggest not go for forum too fast, try to focus on your game and get some member before start the forum.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Will you be coding and designing the games yourselves? What type of games will you focus on?

6. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right now the designing is covered by me. As i am a master artist. Problem is we are amateurs at best with the coding. So we need a good coder to help us out.

ATM The plan is to have the site up until the first SMALL release is up, then we plan to open up the forum.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That seems to be really cool. Gaming sites are really popular nowadays.
    I'm wondering if you are also planning to have these games be available for download? For free or a certain license fee?

8. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe you can get much more members in your gaming sites - and hopefully some sales if you give free sample .

Good luck with it.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you decided on who your target market will be and how you will service them, better than the existing competition?

Do you intend to create a business plan for the business? It really doesn't have to be that difficult, we can help you with any questions you might have and you should find the business plan template links in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread helpful.

10. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At the moment, we are just trying to develop. Once we have done so, we are going to work on marketing. And right now i don't have the time, but i wish i did, to develop a business plan, you are welcome to help!

We will probably offer 1 or two trial levels, but that will probably be it.

Like i said, we will offer a 1 or 2 level trial, but there will most likely be a fee for the full game.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My son was telling me some sites give the basic game away free and you pay for add-ons.

It's usually in the form of points or some other virtual currency that has to be purchased with actual money. If you buy them, you can have them credited to your user account for the games, and in the games, you can purchase certain exclusive items or exclusive areas.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine for example allows you to purchase equipment that is above average and have unique or unusual combinations of statistics that would be difficult or impossible to get otherwise. That's the game he plays.

I thought it was an interesting business model. You might want to consider something like that.

12. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hm. I will discuss it with my partner. Sounds like a good idea!

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good, glad it helped! And don't miss our special forum feature, the Thanks button. Available in every post for your clicking convenience. :D

14. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lol, i hadn't noticed it! *Clicks*

15. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there are lots of game scripts available online, you might just want to check those rpg games and revise some.
    i have mine actually, online-arcade.info :D
    its wp. the competition is just too much that i can't even find mysite in the serps:D

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those are pretty much available on all FTPMMORPG or Free-to-Play Multiplayer Online Games like RAN Online.
    They have a site where in you can purchase in-game items and valuables using E-Cards. You can buy these E-Cards using your own money. And here's the catch. Most in-game items you can bought can only be used on a certain time span like 1 to 7 days. Honestly, I have spend all of my allowance in high school when I was still playing this game.

Hope that can help.

17. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hm, thanks, i'll be sure to check it out...

18. Mr Topatoe

Mr Topatoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Absolutely, i cannot express how much your advice helped me out.

19. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have tons of substantial advice I can give you...though I'd need a bit more specifics in order for me to provide you the right insights.

First off, where are you based? where will you initially kick start beta testings or alpha testings of your game/s?

I suggest start local, then go global...but do it strategically. Start with some key local communities. Partner with a local internet cafe and put out invites for students to have mini tournaments/competitions and allocate a budget for prizes for the top 3 highest scorers/most victories. Make a series of weekly or semi monthly tournaments.

Then as your base expands, tap support from advertisers. Propose co-branding or logo placements in the game or game merchandising or your tournament ads/promo materials. I recommend try and tap local PC or gadget device companies to advertise or sponsor some tournament dates (and prizes for winners.)

Try and tap local media for casual mentions/exposures to raise awareness and information about the game/s and the community tournaments.

Then...once you have many sponsors, plan and have a mega event tournament in a well known venue. Tap up and coming local music artists to perform during the quarterfinals or the championship round of the tournament.

The key here is...at every stage, you need to have social media or traditional media exposure. Use facebook, twitter, etc to spread the word, and drive traffic to your website.

Hope these few tips are a start.

I really hope you succeed on this. I'm a huge fan of video games, PC or handheld or PS2/PS3 :)

20. lary

lary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even I think that social media will be the best to go with. Good way to stay in front of or stay in touch with those you have an established relationship, but getting new clients who don't already have a relationship with you is difficult through social media but still possible.