Taking Advantage (domain)

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by DavidL, Mar 22, 2010.

1. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

Using Google AdWords: Keyword Tool, I see that this certain key term is popular and there is a .us domain for it. For SEO and SERP reasons, should I take it? Even though the .com is take and that site is developed, is it worth it?

For example (if you don't get it): forum.com is taken and is a popular/developed site. "Forum" is a major keyword. I see that forum.us isn't taken, so should I take it since its a popular keyword?

Thanks.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One issue with registering a name other than the .com, is that when someone hears about your site and decides to look for it online, they may well type the .com version of the domain into their browser. Hence, promoting your site could actually help your competition.

Sometimes it is better to use the keyword and try to put another dictionary word with it, to make a memorable and brandable .com domain. For example, "yellowforum".

3. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though that may be an issue, the purpose of my site is different to the .com version.

The only reason why I haven't gone for something unique is that the domain is quite premium and the domain is a key term itself, which has 49,500 monthly global searches.

Either way, I bought the domain as it looks to have potential.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done David, good find and I hope it works out well for you.