Tackling too many ideas at once...

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Shotgun, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Say you have several great ideas that you really want to pursue. You are very condfident that EACH and EVERY ONE of the ideas are good.

What do you do if you don't have the time to pursue all of them? Do you just choose one idea to tackle on? Or do you tackle them all? Or tackle one, then another right after?

I'm kind of stuck in this situation right now. I have several ideas jotted down in my notepad, however, I don't know whether to tackle all the ideas, or just focus on one. I'm confident that each idea is pretty darn good, and I really want to pursue all of them. What do I do?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You pick one or two at most, do your very best with that and then when you're happy with one and satisfied you've taken it as far as you can, you pick up on the other ones to begin working on.

A scattergun approach isn't a productive use of your time. You'll end up with several half-baked ideas and concepts, and then be so busy attempting to work on them all that nothing will ever be as great as it could have been had to given a sole project your undivided attention.

Unless you're willing to hire staff to help you bring all or several of your ideas to fruition at once, I don't see how it could work spreading yourself so thinly.

3. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Kay, that's what I needed to hear. I'm just worried that if I solely focus on one idea for a while, then some of my other great ideas may be used and taken by somebody else.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've been in exactly the same situation Shotgun and from my own personal experience I would say that Kay's advice is spot on. Pick one idea - perhaps the one you feel has the most potential, maybe the one that would be easiest to get up and running or the idea that you are most passionate about - then focus on that idea, give it your best shot and take it as far as you can before working on your other ideas.

5. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If i am you, i will tackle the idea which i have the most confident/potential among all the rest of the ideas. Once you chosen the idea you want, work towards it till you have success before moving on to the others.

6. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I'll certainly have to make a decision and choose one idea from the lot.

7. FunPromo

FunPromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've learned that instead of trying to do everything at the same time Its easier to take one project and turn it into tiny projects. Tackle one at a time and the next thing you know its all done!

8. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Shotgun forget the confidence go online - research the market and see if there is potential before you commit to it.

If there is a market, research the competition, find your unique offering and fit.

When you know you have a viable market and offering analyse yourself to see if you have what it takes to see it through.

I have a blog post on just this topic http://www.insynrg.com/i-have-a-dream-market-research/

9. pixelbob

pixelbob
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try to do some research on how you can integrate all your ideas and you need to have a plan.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If there is one idea that will not take very long, or an idea that will give the most reward start with one of these. If you need a break switch between 1 or 2 ideas. don't have more than 3 main project at once or you will get too scattered.

11. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Use 1 then add the other ideas when you have success with the first one.
    If you add them all at once the member will come and after a few months nothing new he is bored and will leave.

12. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First i make my self relax to think what is the right thing to do then after that do it one by one, because for me i don't believe in multi-tasking, because on my own experience or experience of other most of the time multi tasking job is merely ineffective with regardsto the result of the job almost 80%.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome. :)And you may well come up against that but hey, if you've already got a rockin' idea that's enormously successful, would you feel quite as bad about it? Just don't tell everyone what it is and keep it on the back burner for the future in case no-one does think of it. You may well decide to sell your fabulous project and be starting afresh some day.

Sometimes the best thing we can do with an idea is let it go. At least for now. :)

Great blog post there, Techknowoman. :)