Suggestion : What do you expect from a membership site ?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by BenjaminCip, Nov 11, 2009.

1. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am creating a membership site with some business partners on my main blog.

The membership site will include :

- A Forum
    - A Social Media Network
    - Traffic exchange
    (we also plan to create free plugins for our members with the money we will generate from the membership fee)

Both social media network and traffic exchange will be available for free, except the forum. However, premium members or advertisers who paid will get featured first. You will be sure to get targetted traffic (as long as you are blogging about anything related to business, marketing and making money online)

We would like to know what are the categories and thread you would like to get featured on the membership site. Any other suggestion will be very appreciated.

We already decided everything, but in case your suggestion is very interesting, we'll offer you a free access to the community for several months.

Please note that we don't want to be mistaken with other membership site. I personally tried several membership site and they were lacking of concrete informations about the subject. We will reward any active members who give concrete answers to the questions other members are asking with money, depending on their rank and reputation. We will try to create a rating so that other members can rate your reply to make sure they were satisfied with your answer.

We will also share our knowledge. I have invest a lot of money into ebooks and other digital products and am willing to share everything I know. Your success is Our success. I put my reputation under the line. (P.S : membership site will be added to my blog on www.BenjaminCip.com)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Benjamin have you taken a hard at the existing free services, with a view to determining what you can offer that your members would be prepared to pay for?

If your more experienced and skilled members are doing well in business will you be able to reward them enough financially, to encourage them to answer other members' questions?

I would say that one of the most important things you could provide is quality content on your subject. If you can provide that members will be prepared to sign up to view that content and they will also have the confidence to know that they will get answers to any questions they have on that content.

I'd suggest that you have a look at http://www.seobook.com/. Their niche is different to yours, but they have been extremely successful with their membership model and you could learn a lot from how they encourage people to join by the quality of the content they provide.

Good luck with everything and please do post back with your thoughts, progress or any further business questions that you have and we will do our best to help you.

3. AndrewK

AndrewK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Benjamin,

In my opinion the key to getting members is about creating a sense of value for money and ensuring that the information and tools provided to members is exponentially better than the superb free content already available.

You also have to ensure that what you provide to members is not freely available elsewhere online.

You talk about creating plugins in the future, my advice would be to create one now and then provide a synopsis of what is coming in the near future as far as plugins are concerned.

One of the other ideas you could have is a special signing up bonus for the first 'X' many members where they get something like a one on one coaching session with you via skype or will be invited to an exclusive series of webinars for these fist customers only. and then as an extension of this one of your members sites features could be regular member only webinars with yourself and occasionally special guests.

4. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal, thank you for your reply.

I believe I've learnt everything I need to know about making money online althought I'm still investing into several digital products from time to time to review them and promote them when they are worth reading.

Everything people is looking for is Traffic because it's one of the key to success, that's why I created a social media network (soon a traffic exchange) to offer premium members to visit related blog and to bring them targeted traffic.

It's not everything, I wanted to create an Question and Answer thread for each categories to allow members to ask question they didn't find answer on the forums etc. If we don't have the answer to this question, members will be able to upgrade both their rank and reputation and get money depending on the rating they get.

We will try to charge an affordable fee that could help us to afford paying the members for their contribution to the forums, not to mention that we will also try to earn money from advertising.

We will also create a special plugin to create a link exchange which generate traffic between members in order to build a strong community.

I will create a special offer for BAF members to pay only $1 the first month, in order to get an idea about what the membership site is about.

We want our members satisfaction, not customer's remorse. I am working on writing quality content with other staff, and would be glad to offer you a V.I.P account if you are interested, Fergal.

We will also pay reward members who reffer people to us. The first 100 members will have the choice between paying a lifetime access for a very nice price, or paying every month an affordable price.

5. kiatsiang

kiatsiang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As normal surfer points of view like me, i prefer a membership site that provides me with free gift, money, coupons, as well as a chances to win a big prizes. Others than that the membership site should have interesting information to keep me occupy. I suggest it has some easy contest like lockerz.com site that everyone will have chance to get something for their participation.

6. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

AndrewK I already thought about your suggestion, except using skype. Concerning the plugin, I need fond in order to create one. I've invested money for every script I'm using, and am waiting for little ROI before to invest money into the plugin. I will also create a special thread in order to ask members what are the plugin they are looking for.

I personally don't think it's good to offer everything at once, we will offer plugins and other freebies little by little, so as to keep members comming again and again.

7. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

kiatsiang Thank you for your suggestion, I'll take a look at the site you mentioned. I already plan to give money to members, but didn't think about giving discount coupon, except for the OIOpublisher plugin.

8. AndrewK

AndrewK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Benjamin, I'm not suggesting you offer everything at once but as a potential subscriber i would be more inclined to join when i can access the first plugin as soon as i join and see what your plans are for plugins over the next few months knowing that as long as i keep my membership current over the next 6 months i will get access to those plugins you have that are still under development, If you were to tell me we are going to build some plugins in the future i would probably hold off joining until i could get one of these plugins.

Its not about offering everything but about offering a sampling of everything that will be available.

I would pick the simplest of your plugin ideas and see if you can find someone on a forum like this or amongst your blog readers with the skills to build it in exchange for say a free 6 month membership to your site and the potential to be paid $$$ to develop future plugins.

9. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

AndrewK I understand what you mean. I'm already looking for that kind of programmer anyway :)

I found a designer (the one who created my blog logo) that accepted to get paid once the membership site will make profit. Not to mention he became the moderator of the design thread, which also mean he will be able to offer his services to other members.