Suggestion wanted for a website name

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by James Greg, Sep 24, 2011.

1. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

I have started a site with news, opinion articles and a blog. Its named http://www.lythouse.com but I think according to the niche its name should be more related to the content inside.

Please have a look at it for better understanding and tell me if the name being used is correct or if you think it does not correlate with the content, then kindly suggest a suitable name.

2. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I think of lythouse my mind instantly goes to boats/nautical/water etc.

I get your kinda making a play on words though and a common American Idiom (i.e. are the lights on in there or if the lights are on then news and information is buzzing). Also a lighthouse is used for information gathering/sending etc.. or I guess it could be construed as lit house (i.e. a house of literature)

So the name seems okay.

My vote would be for something maybe like NOWN.com easier to remember, easier to spell, a little more catchy etc.

Then you just make the site's logo/slogan - News Opinion Weird News (= NOWN)

or something like NOWN = News Around Town

• Like Like x 1
  3. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you DaveB for your review and your thoughts.I totally agree with you and NWON.com seems interesting. I'm really thinking of changing around a bit.

4. johnhox

johnhox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yaa seems fine to me as well
    !

5. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You plan to setup a similar site? nown.com is not available for registration.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Whether intentional or not, Dave makes as good point - the more you have to think about how a site name fits the content, the harder it's going to be to remember. Although names of sites like Amazon and Google have nothing to do with their content, they were able to use various marketing methods to get potential visitors familiar with them, so it was not necessary for potential visitors to try to figure out what they were, getting confused in the process.
    In your case, unless you can use other methods to familiarize people with your site, you would be better off using a name that describes what the site is, like newsyoucanuse.com or uniquenews.com.

• Like Like x 1
  7. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I see nown.com is not available but I couldn't find anything with nwon.com how would that sound?

8. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get your point it's true the first time I heard the word Google I was like what is this really? The first thought that came to my mind was it might be a site of jokes, but now we all know how much of a joke it was. And Amazon, from the sound of it is no where near a trading name it looks as if it would have pictures of the amazon or least it would be something of a travel site or blog.

Joeroxx the site is really new one there's not much work done for it till now and I was wondering if this name would fit in for future because once I start to work on making it popular then it wouldn't be good to look back or have second options.

Also i would like your personal review, when you opened the site what feel did it give to you, a normal blog? A news site?

Thanx for your reply.

9. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

DaveB nown.com is up for sale I think. There's some message on it "This domain has recently been listed in the marketplace at domainnamesales.com. Click here to inquire or call 1-800-385-8489." Please clarify is it available for sale? What do you suggest if it is up for sale should I give them a call? Thanx for the honest review you posted. It made a clear picture what the public would feel.

10. grow

grow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After having a quick glance at the front page of the website; I don't know what the website is about. You should have a good idea of a website from the front page, this is not the case with this website. The website name should help solve this, maybe go for something a bit clearer?

As for domain suggestions; have the word "news" in the domain if possible. Also think about how your website is different to other news websites and attempt to put that into your website name, i.e: controversial news (Obviously this would not work for your website, but hopefully you get the idea).

11. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the rule about constructing a website is to make the domain name related to the niche. It is also advisable to put keywords in your domain name.

12. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the guidance I get the idea. Actually I was a bit uncomfortable with the name too and I think the site is jumbled with different articles.

Thanks for the keywords tip. This is a great idea. Is it possible to have the same site renamed?

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I apologize for taking so long to reply. You're right about the site having "not much work done". Right now, it's a group of articles on a page, with no organization at all. The tag cloud is a bit of TMI. It would probably be better to have a list of categories for the news articles and photos on the left side, with the actual home page consisting of featured articles from each category.
    As far as the name, you could probably add some content about the site and how the name was arrived at (if you stay with the same name).

14. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your reply. I like your idea of adding improvement to the site. I plan to keep this site running and will look up a new site with a more refined name. The design you have suggested will really work and I will have it re-designed.