Suggest me…

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Justinjude, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am running a small Internet marketing company in USA. From last few days my employees are not working properly. Their Moral strength has totally lost. Which causes a big lose to me. I am really in a hurry need to give a positive environment to them other I will defiantly dead. Can anyone tell me what to do in this hard time?

2. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should ask them what is their actual problem, there might be something else which you might not be knowing or they need increments in the salary may be, try to get the exact reason for that...

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Anusha, if you ask your employees what the issue is and why the team may be demotivated, you might be surprised at how helpful the feedback is that they give you. When speaking to them, try to do it in a non-judgemental manner, don't blame them for the issues and really listen careful to their concerns and feedback. You could also ask them for suggestions as to what you could do, to better motivate the team.

4. butnone

butnone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can deduct their wages! :rolleyes:

5. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should call a meeting to discuss any problems or concerns that they might have ... sorta like clearing the air. You NEED to find out what the moral issue is to see any production like you use to. Otherwise, things will continue the way they're going. Or, you can do anonymous feedback forms where they can voice their opinions or concerns without being names. Either way, you need to get to the bottom of the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But this is not the way to deal, everyone needs good source of income, and they need to be incremented not a deduction...

7. anandshah

anandshah
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

With my point of you should call each employee one by one discuss their problems and then call all employees to discuss their problems.

8. marriott

marriott
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should listen the problems of your employees. Ask them if they are feeling any difficulty related their their task, maybe they need some help and try to make your employees comfortable with the company environment.

9. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

... a small Internet marketing company in USA....employees are not working properly... Moral strength... lost... causes... lose to me...need to give a positive environment .... hard time...
    Hi Just injude.
    I know how bad it is when company moral is down and work is being affected. I agree with Ausha that deducting money is not a good idea. If it was just one person, that may have helped but when you give less than agreed you really cause moral to go down even worse. I know, because when my business was struggling and I in attempt to save the business, reduced my employees working hours to half and their salaries as well, even after consultation and agreement with all, their cut in money really influenced moral to take a total dive!
    One thing that worked better for me was to have a team building event. But I'd like to advice you something different before even that. As a business owner do you have a mentor with whom you can share your emotions and experiences? You see the group always takes their queue from you, and if you are down, it will influence them as well. How are you handling affairs at work? How are you coping with your stress level? As much as they need a positive environment. how is the one you are working and creating in? When my business was in such a bad shape, and I started getting involved with my mentor, he said this to me...Remember a fish rots from the head...Now I know that sounds a bit brash, but just consider this. I don't mean you should go blaming yourself and feeling even worse than before, what I mean is, get help for yourself if you need to. Remember you don't have to do it all alone. Business can sometimes be very lonely, so get help and if you don't know who to go to, PM me. To get moral up, you ought to start with yourself.

Now, back to team building...If your employees are all dispersed via internet living in different parts of the world, the solution lies even more so, on your side. If you are working together, them you can have a team building event over a week-end, or even just a few hours at your office or a different venue. To have success at this you will need some outside influence to create the springboard effect you seeking. For this you need to closely discuss the current challenges and opportunities with that person, so that the outsider can create that for you through the games and exercises they bring.

Another easy thing is to put up motivational phrases in places that cane be seen, even on the inside of your bathroom door. Just beware that your motivational phrases don't sound patronizing but that the team experiences you as on their side, as part of a team.

Also be sure to create enough opportunity for challenges to be talked about and solutions sought.

Another thing you can revisit is the vision you have for the business. Share with them the hopes, dreams and plans you have. As business owners sometimes we start out sharing our plans, but as time goes by we start operating on our own, leaving our employees in the dark as to where all this is going. Breaking down the vision into the actions currently being exercised in the business and talking about how to get to the targets can do a lot for motivation. A team building event can incorporate such discussion very well.

Two last comments: You also need to consider is how in future you screen and pick employees to work for you. At one stage my mentor even told me that I had all the wrong people working for me. I made many mistakes and learning to employ the right self-motivated people is a skill to be acquired. He said I had employed people I liked or felt sorry for and then hoped they could do what I wanted them to do for me. I hadn't appointed the right people for the job. My job descriptions were vague and not easily and daily measurable. I also didn't discipline them right when they performed badly. One thing I have had to learn is to create daily quantifiable measurement of outcomes I want for every aspect of business, and if they are not met, to immediately deal with them, otherwise their lack of performance starts seeping into the rest of business.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted on what works for you and how our advice benefited you!

• Like Like x 1