Successful Sales

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by pendelton, May 5, 2008.

1. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The first step is to develop a dialog with the prospect, find out what their needs and wants are, base your sales for the customer, not the product. Be more of a guidance counselor than a sales person Ask probing questions, you are not educating your customer about your product or service, but educating yourself on what they want or need.

Are you always preparing to meet your next prospect? Are you constantly assessing the needs, or wants, of your customers? Does your product meet their needs, or fill in a gap of their wants? Can you change your product to do that?
    Do not plan backwards and try to make the customer fit the product.

Are your critical skills always razor sharp? Your presence, your rapport, your questioning style, your listening, and your ability to ask those hard to ask questions for feed back. If you are weak in any of these areas you can lose sales.

You need to start off with the focus on the customer, not you and not your product. Start off by asking the probing questions, but be prepared to ask them in the proper order, but be flexible, since your prospects answers can change the line of questioning. This is where listening comes in to play, with the need to ask the next logical question, whatever it may be.

What happens when the prospect retaliates and asks questions or voice objections?
    You maintain your cool, customer focused presence and answer with a question, or, when faced with an objection, counter with a fix for it. This is for those that are truly prepared.
    Say the customer says the colour is wrong. Do not contradict the customer, oddly enough they know what they want or need. Do not tell them that it is the latest fad, again, oddly enough they know what they want or need. Do not agree with with them, and do not disagree with them. You ask the questions which will help you determine which colour you do have may be appropriate, and, if that fails, you tell them you will check to see what can be done. "May I ask why this colour is not right for you?" and "Let me check on this for you." are acceptable answers.

Know your competitors.
    The prospective buyer states "XYZ down the street has the colour I want."
    Know what they sell and how they sell it, be ready to answer all questions that the prospect asks, truthfully.

Take notes!
    If your prospect asks a question you can not answer fully and/or honestly write it down, let them know you are keep track of all the questions that you can not answer at the time. If you are fully prepared you will not have anything to have to check on, but, you never know what kind of question may arise, so be prepared to make a note of it.

Part of your preparation is your FAB statements. Ask you ask your questions and learn which Features your prospect needs or wants you can tell them the Advantage of the feature and the Benefit that goes with it. "I really like these drapes in dark blue." "Excellent colour choice Ms. Jones, during those hot summer days they can help block the solar heat from coming in the windows, saving you money on your electric bill from using the air conditioning. Would you like the 2 meter or the 3 meter length?"

Remember, sell, sell, sell!!!! Any product or service can be sold, just by paying attention to the customer and truly listening to them.

#1 pendelton, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have just demonstrated here the customer-centric type of selling where the customers needs take priority over the sellers commissions. Listening is also a lost skill in some salesmen today. I remember one time where I was just looking at some LCD televisions and a salesman approached me asking if he can help. I said that I was just looking around. I guess he didn't hear me because he went on and on about the features of this tv...the resolution, clarity, energy-saving features and all that. In the end, he was quite disappointed when I said thanks and walked away.

I particularly like this one because I also use this technique in closing sales. This is making a suggestion to the customer that the sale has already been closed. Asking "Would you like the 2 meter or the 3 meter length?" is much better than "Do you want to buy this?".

3. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yeah, and it is your fault too Nazreen, you got me thinking about it again. Thanks. :)

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're most welcome pendelton. Thinking is a good thing - it keeps the mind sharp. Couple that with questioning, reasoning and removing all the myths and false beliefs and you have a good thing coming.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This is an excellent closing technique that can and does work really well. You should not be too push when you are using this method of closing. If you are too pushy or demanding you could actually turn the customer away or perhaps even make the sale but leave the customer with negative feelings towards the transaction, your company and you personally.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you don't mind, I'd like to further dissect you main post and stress some very important points pendelton. Successful retailing can be summed up in one simple but very powerful statement - You must sell what sells! But how would I know what sells or what buyers want, you might ask. This is where product sourcing comes in. Needs and wants are the two basic ingredients to good product sourcing. A customer might need a pair of pants but they want a pair of levi's jeans. If your product fulfills both of these, then your product will definitely sell.

Formula:
    Need + Desire (or Want) + Product = Sales

I'll illustrate the formula below using the Sony walkman phone.

Need(mobile to get connected) + Desire(walkman, bluetooth..) + Product(Sony walkman phone) = Sales

7. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What, no way man, you can not do that!!!!! ;)

Cripes, that's a good post too Nazreen.

Anytime you need to add to, question, or change anything I posted do it, this goes for anyone. The reasons for this are: I do not know it all, I may not present it well, or my ideas/lessons could be outdated.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd just like to add once again and further expound on the Need + Desire + Product formula above. "Sell what you love!" This is a myth, actually.

Most people will advice you to sell the things that you love but this would only be profitable if your passions have a strong demand for your product or a niche market. If you love a particular product and it sells well, then you have an ideal combination there. But this is not often the case. You must still sell what sells! The Need + Desire + Product formula applies to your target market and not you.

9. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. You do need to know what they want, and how to produce it to their needs. Research is the most important thing. If you can predict something everyone would use, and want.

Then be able to create before it floats about everywhere. You will become a very rich person.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I once read that it is very important to love your customers. Perhaps this is a better approach to loving what you sell. If you love your customers you will go the extra mile to satisfy them and this will benefit your business. Obviously you need to also ensure that your customers are profitable for your business.

Saying all that, it might not be a requirement to sell what you love, but it would be a help if you did. If you love the product or service it will be easier to stay motivated over the long haul. It will also be more likely that you will have a strong knowledge of your product or service that will allow you to better serve your customers. Loving your product or service should also make your work more enjoyable for you. Again, you need to keep profitability at the front of your mind and the focus of your business.

11. BlueEew

BlueEew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Loving the customers is one thing. :rolleyes:

Hmm I guess having good communication regulary and offering excellent customer service is the best thing for customers. I myself like this type of thing.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess you don't have a choice in the matter. Either love your customers or they'll go to someone else who will love them more - your competitors! At least love them when you're with them anyway and not criticize them behind their backs. There are some nasty and pesky customers that you simply want to bash their heads in, but love them all the same. Hahaha :D

13. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

BlueEew has the idea, and loves his/her customers, just expresses it differently.

BlueEew, remember, love has different levels. The love for your sister/brother is different than the love of your spouse, which is different yet from the love of your children. Not that one is less than the other, just felt differently.

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When did the topic of successful sales go from business to becoming something from a love or romantic story? :)

Anyway, in the Bible there is a very popular saying "You reap what you sow". So if you have sown love to your customers, then you should expect to reap love from your customers too. In other words, love your customers and they'll love you back. Maybe not all your customers but most of them.

15. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When someone mentioned selling what one loved, or was passionate about.

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you sell what you love or was passionate about and it sells, then you're very lucky. You got yourself the perfect combination. This is often not the case though, especially if you're an eccentric that likes strange stuff that only a few people like. Selling your hobby can only be profitable if you find a good enough market for it.

17. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I agree with it. Only your interest is not going to work to make your business successful, you need to have a better marketing as well. Without it, your interest of selling your products may come into dream. So, marketing is essential.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

They do say that if you find what you love doing you will never have to work a day again, because you will be doing what you enjoy. Obviously you have to also find a way of making money from what you love.

19. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paying attention to the customer, their needs and wants, is one of the best ways to making a successful sale. To be able to sell effectively, we must also do our research on the customer. This can be done by asking the right questions. Just asking the customer what he/she's looking for is not enough though.

Let's say that the customer said that he was looking for a vacuum cleaner and immediately you show him the latest design with all the bag-less, no-odor emitting, super-suction, and all the latest vacuum cleaning technology. The customer was impressed but it's way too expensive for him. In this case, you have wasted you and your customer's time. It would have been better if you ask the price range that the customer is willing to consider first.

20. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I completely agree with fergal on the note that you need to love your customers if you want to add them to your loyal customer data base.
    Now days customer dosen't want product they want solution to their problem. You should always keep this in mind for successful business...

#20 deepak_sharma, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008