Sub Domain.

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by angelajason06, Feb 14, 2013.

1. angelajason06

angelajason06
    uix_expand uix_collapse

one of my friend was made a Service website for free. It is a Sub Domain. Now that Platform is Encouraging him to Buy his own Domain and Hosting website. The Platform is Yola dot com. Can any one please tell me how is the service of yoga in Hosing and domain name??

Thanks

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice 4char domain yola.com. I like the name. So you are offering sub domain for free and creating websites platform like tripod.com etc. I think people will use this kind of feature for personal websites only. For Business / commericial use, they will go for .com domain. What kind of Hosting are you giving to the users? Is it a Cpanel Hosting or it is inbuilt website creator?

Can I ask you something? On what base does a user creates website in your site html, php, wordpress, joomla or other?

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

^No. He doesn't own YOLA.COM. From what I could understand, they registered the shop via Yola, and now, they want to purchase a TLD for that shop.

@OP
    Do the site have any FAQs regarding this? I mean, Can you put your domain name on the Yola site?
    I don't think you need to have a hosting account as Yola will host your shop. Kinda like Blogger.

4. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think we're all having a little trouble understanding exactly what you mean. Yola is a free website maker service. Initially you'll get a subdomain (e.g. www.yourname.yola.com) - however if your site grows they encourage you to purchase your own tld (e.g. www.yourname.com). This would be a good move for you or your friend as having your own domain is much more professional than just a free subdomain.

Personally I'm not a fan of free website makers such as Yola and I would suggest looking into getting a website developed elsewhere and buying web hosting.

Sorry if none of us have answered exactly what you were asking, you may need to be a little more specific.

Good luck with your (or your friend's) website.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you got it right. they got a subdomain with Yola and now they have been asked to upgrade to their own domain.
    Coming to the question i haven't used the hosting service of yola myself so cannot comment on it. However, you should see what kind of hosting they offer. Is it only shared? Can you upgrade later on. Whats their uptime? Do they provide 24x7 support services or not. These things should let you decide better.

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Eh. I didn't understand. The first line
    confused me. Anyways, it's better to go for own domain may be .com ones.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do Yola hosting your site for free? Will your hosting still be free if you purchase a domain name?

8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yola.com doesn't gives out hosting for .com or other tld domain name. It's actually creating websites with website-builder. It only gives out subdomain.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's sad. Well, the OP really needs to purchase a hosting account to host his e-commerce website and start getting sales.
    Sadly, I can't really suggest any good hosting company, as I haven't used one.

10. sobi123

sobi123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi mate , You can try with free hosting accounts Thousand of Companies are giving Free hosting accounts, try Google and search ,

11. joindme

joindme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Their pricing plan looks sketchy at best. 5MB/ month upload for their minimum tier?! I use Hostasp.net and they've been good for me. I run two larger sites from it, flightnotify.com and joind.me and they've been pretty good. No drops yet.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How is their free hosting service? I haven't tried any free hosting on a website that gets actual traffic from search engine visitors.
    I have only tried AwardSpace but only used it on a test site to show off to my friends.