Study shows that video games leads to depression and social problems.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by adamwatsn, Jan 2, 2013.

1. adamwatsn

adamwatsn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"A new study shows that video games provide elation much like a drug can. There is so much euphoria and endorphin rush that comes with SOME games that people can become addicted to them. In essence, they get a high. However, like with some drugs, once they are not gaming, their mood and endorphin levels are such that they are more depressed and are less sociable as they WOULD BE if they were not playing the games in a habitual-addictive like manner.

Moreover, the fascination with the video game world makes reality seem all but dull and boring. Thus, for some video game addicts, sitting in front of a screen is more entertaining than conversing with a human. This is likely the cause for lack of social activity in many gamers lives. This lack of social activity is also a probable cause for the higher level of depression statistics."

I don't know how I feel about this dudes, im thinkin, maybe we should only play every once in a while? I mean personally.. some of this stuff is true, and when im not gaming so much.. i just enjoy hangin around my peeps more.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting view and the points you make are quite convincing. Like most research studies, there are also studies that reach a different conclusion, in this case research that shows lots of benefits from video gaming. Such as those expressed by Jane McGonigal in the video below;

[video=youtube;lfBpsV1Hwqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfBpsV1Hwqs[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have experienced this first hand. My son who has always been a social being is slowly getting addicted to games and becoming very antisocial.

4. john_mclaren

john_mclaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually these video games are found to be associated with disorder named ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyper-Active Disorder which is mainly associated with insomnia and loss of focus. So putting kids on screen diet is the best option left. Don't banish it completely as they also aid in development of brain cells too. Just limit the screen time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you tried limiting the time he spends playing games? What about encouraging him to play more social games that involve playing with and cooperating with other people?

6. dlcnetwork

dlcnetwork
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you expect? Ever watch the movie Surrogates? That's the kind of attractiveness video games have. It's crippling a younger generation.