Storytelling in blogs

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by wameyo, Jul 5, 2015.

1. wameyo

wameyo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Once upon a time...Yea, that opening line there always makes you want to sit back, grab a cup of coffee and read the rest of it. Story telling is a very nice way of catching peoples attention and it makes learning fun. Have you ever tried it in your blog or do you prefer the dishing out of information after information without any personal experiences thrown in between.What works best for you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not a huge fan of storytelling anymore but I used to be one. As you just anticipated, grabbing a cup of coffe while reading a story, was a must for me for a couple of years ago but now, with the ton of work I have to do every day is just impossible and not really relaxing as it used to be. I've never tryed to write a story by myself but I bet it would be an interesting idea if in the future I won't have much anything to do.

3. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might have been a strategy which worked quite well in the past but a lot has changed since then. Not only will a story negatively impact your SEO it also unnecessarily bloats your articles. On the net people lose interest pretty fast. If someone wants to learn about SEO for example and first thing they see when they land on your page is some story they won't stick around for long.

Stories have their place. On some sites they'll be fine but on others they might annoy the site visitors. It won't cost you much to experiment though. You never know . . . your readers might like them stories.

4. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being a skimmer myself I tend to take a quick look on the keywords I am looking for in a site or page. A long introduction and unnecessary details will definitely make me leave quickly. Storytelling has its own charm and use and place on the web it still works.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Based on my research on blogging, skimming is the common attitude of netizens. They will read the first line of the blog, read another line in the middle and leave if what had read didn't suit their taste buds. Let's admit that netizens have short attention span that's why storytelling now is in a different form unlike the fairy tales of old where you sit back and relax and wait for what to happen. Readers now want it to happen at once. So maybe I should rewrite some of my articles for my planned blog.

6. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that I would ever story tell in my blog. It just seems weird because your blog isn't necessarily a story. I think it would be good if you had FanFiction on your blog or something like that, but not some other blog. Say you have a blog about electronics or something dealing with how to make money online, it just wouldn't seem right. I wouldn't be able to take that site seriously.

7. hrishivardhan

hrishivardhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you are right. Today, customers expect for more than just a scripted content on shopping sites. The content of your website should not sound as a sales pitch, instead you should try and bring a life in your content that will automatically makes customers stay on your website for long. The longer you make your customers stay on your website, the more chances of them being converted into a sales lead.

I hope you would like to know more impact of story telling Here is one article to read: http://www.orderhive.com/impact-storytelling-ecommerce-business/

8. Zyni

Zyni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it really depends on the type of site and the type of audience you have. In some cases, (many in fact) people will simply want to quickly skim the page for relevant information. On the other hand, some sites won't do as well if there is nothing personal. If it's straight business then get to the point. If it's a mommy blog or something then personal info or storytelling is not only acceptable but welcomed, or even expected.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a good strategy to gain visitors/readers for your blog, but I think it depends on what your blog is all about. If it's some sort of information-related blog like stuff about technology or academics, I don't think storytelling would be ideal. If it's a travel blog, then yes, you should share some of your interesting experiences on your blog.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A blog for me is more about sharing information and your own personal views on a subject, that's the main reason people will read blog posts.

These days people are more interested in clear and concise facts, and I know that if I came across a blog that took too long to read, I'd just skip over it and not even bother reading it.