Storing vegetables in your fridge can take away goodness

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by swift, Jun 23, 2013.

1. swift

swift
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because conditions do not mimic night and day.

We’ve all been told that boiling vegetables for too long saps them of their goodness.
    But keeping them in the fridge could also be bad for our health.

Experts say that fruit and vegetables are alive even after they have been picked
    or dug up. This means that they respond to changes in levels of light by producing
    different amounts of health-boosting chemicals.

If ‘day’ follows ‘night’, as in the wild, the amount of the compounds rises and falls.
    But kept in a dark place, such as the fridge, or in the constant light of a supermarket
    that is open 24 hours, the health-boosting chemicals never reach the same high.

As a result, even those who conscientiously eat their five a day may not be getting
    the full health benefits.

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an interesting news. But I don't think I will find a better place to store vegetables than a fridge. If I keep vegetables then germs can spoil the vegetables.

3. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its true that if vegetables or fruits stored long in the fridge,then they are spoiled by the water inside the fridge,that is the water drops which are condensed.They should be used regularly even if they are been placed in fridge.

4. alexdisuza

alexdisuza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fridge is the best place to store the vegetable, because everyone do not have that much time to bye fresh vegetable.

5. alicemenezes

alicemenezes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just today my friend said that if you add salt to vegetables and keep, the water that comes out of it has all the vitamins and nutrients. So salting them and keeping it is not good practice?

6. Timsmith

Timsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Their is not a better place to store vegetables than fridge but you had given a good information to all of us.