Sticky situation with new job, looking for communication strategy advice. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by dsum5280, Dec 7, 2010.

1. dsum5280

dsum5280
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I accepted a great job with a consulting firm. The first client I am supposed to work with turns out to be a company I interviewed with a few months ago and got turned down. This wouldn't be so concerning were it not for these circumstances. 1. The client is extremely important ($) to the company and to the person I report to. 2. The executive that hired my company is the person that I interviewed with and subsequently turned me down. (No clear reason, my background was relevant so I suspect it was more of a personal decision).

Given the circumstances I am not sure how to inform my boss and then how to handle the first day at the client where I will inevitably encounter the hiring manager. I obviously need to let my boss know before hand so he isn't side-swiped but I don't want to make a big deal out of it to the point he is worried. As far as the client, I'm not sure what to say in this awkward situation (nice to see you again?)

I am somewhat apprehensive since I need/want this job. My biggest fear is we go in to the client and they simply pull my boss aside and inform them they don't want me on the project. Would appreciate any suggestions or sage wisdom on what to say to my boss and the client to smooth out this rather prickly predicament.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum dsum5280. It's funny how life puts us in contact with people we thought we would never see again.

I really don't feel that you have anything to worry about. Mention it to your new boss in a light hearted fashion. Just say that you previously did an interview with the company, you don't even need to say that you didn't get the position, unless you are asked. The sooner you say it, the easier it will be. Your new employer has already decided that you are good enough to work for them and they should know what they are doing. They won't be surprised that you have been turned down for a position in the past, who hasn't?

The client company's only concern will be getting value of money for their consultancy fees, they should not have any complaints about you working on their account, as long as you can deliver the service they require.

It's a small world, especially within any given industry. Things like this actually happen all the time, laugh at the situation and deliver the best possible value that you can to the client company. No need to worry or fret about it and definitely no need to feel any embarrassment. I know that's easier said than done, but you're in the situation now so you might as well greet it enthusiastically.

Good luck in your new job.

3. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

why would they not want you on the team? thats very unprofessional if they do that. You might not have fit into the position you have applied for but that does not exclude you from providing a good consulting service to the company

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

dsum5280 did you start working with the company yet? How did it go?