Starting up and running an eBay business

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by hamzo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. hamzo

hamzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LAST NIGHT I HAVE TRIED A LOT AND THIS WHAT I GOT
    If you have a product-based business, or are thinking of starting one - eBay provides a very useful method of reaching a massive customer base. Since ebay's client base is so widespread, you can sell pretty much anything on there .

The benefits of using eBay are many - low costs, rapid secure transactions, and access to a huge potential market instantly. As with any business however, you are not guaranteed success. You need to find products which are in-demand and sell them at a competitive price.

You need to market the products via the listing pages just as you would anywhere on the web. You also need to understand how the Inland Revenue treat the proceeds of your sales and keep track of all your transactions and tax liabilities.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've read a few books on starting a business on ebay and the first advice that they usually give is to register first on ebay and start buying. There is a feedback system on ebay that is in place and you can build up on this by buying. This system is like a reputation system to increase buyer confidence and buyer/seller accountability in the ebay marketplace. Normally people don't buy from an unknown seller or those with a feedback rating of Zero or less so in order for you to start selling, you must buy first.

By registering and buying on ebay, you also get more familiar with working on ebay, it's features and also the free tools.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ebay has been described as the world's biggest marketplace and represents a huge opportunity for anyone wanting to start an online, home based business. I read a few years' ago that there were over 100,000 people making their living from trading on Ebay, it's probably a higher number now.

As Nazreen says it is very important to build up a good reputation so that prospective customers will trust you.

Hamzo have you got a particular product or service that you are considering selling?

4. Hurbel2k

Hurbel2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The ebay place is so big, at the same time so unregulated. Profits are often less than 5% due to ferocious price battles, I have serious doubt You can earn something on ebay. Maybe You can earn enough to survive, but You won't get rich. But please, prove me otherwise.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have a point there Hendrik. It's probably harder to make money on ebay now than say 2 or 3 years back. This is because there are so many sellers selling on ebay now. With so much competition, this will drive the prices down.

Now the challenge lies in looking for products with a high demand but low in supply. If you can find one, then you'll probably be on your way to riches. If it were me, I'd probably shy away from selling electronic products. This is already over-saturated on ebay.

6. princess2008

princess2008
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an Ebay business and we started in January last month we really did well with sales and made 1700 GBP out of that our profit was approx 1000.

We have really done well with our Ebay business but it took a lot of trial and error with what to sell but basically find the right product, meet the customer needs and you can earn from it, its not a quick and easy way though and takes a lot of time and hard work. We had been trying numerous products on Ebay for over 2 years before we hit it.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Well done Princess, is that the wedding favour business, you referred to in a different post?

8. taki

taki
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not real fond of Ebay. It used to be a great place to sell. But once the big guys started getting all the goodies, its become more like a real world business now. In other words. You can have a great little business, and then some big guy comes along, sees what you are selling, duplicates it and mass produces it and destroys what you built in a matter of weeks. I've seen it happen.

Walmart is an excellent real world example of this.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've read in the last few days that there are over 1 million people currently making most or all of their income from Ebay.

I know one lady who is doing very well selling jewellery on Ebay. She has a very professional set-up with her own home studio for photographing her products. Like anything else you can't do it half-heartedly, if you want your eBay business to be successful you will have to put in the work and be professional about it.

10. rossparker

rossparker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to sell niche housewares on eBay. I had to stock product to get the best pricing leverage (Drop shipping used to work on eBay and may still work for some micro-niche products). I got tired of the shipping and always having to do research to find new products so I stopped that leg of the business last year. It was beginning to feel like a full time job (not a business).