Starting Off - Need Help

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by souljaa, Jan 2, 2010.

1. souljaa

souljaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys, okay well I do have a hand load of questions I have to ask. Anyways, I want to start a forum, I'm working on it, trying to find a good host and trying to save up money for a domain. So far I've made 5$, I need a few more to get a domain, but my goal is to make a lot more so I can give back to the members of my community.
    Now I'm also a member at Digital Point, and I always try looking for work that I'm able to do, but it's hard.
    My first step is to get a good host, buy a domain and set it up before I launch.
    My question is, how do I make the income to do this?
    I've only made 5 dollards, but how can I make more? What should I do? Is it possible to make some money at least now so I can start my site? I want to get this forum started as soon as I can, but I want it to be good before I launch it.

Thank you
    Souljaa
    PS: As we go, I will be asking more and more questions, I hope you guys don't mind!:eek:

2. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would consider hosting at http://hawkhost.com but that will probably be too much for what you need, I have a reseller package with them and could offer hosting at $1.64 a month which will be plenty for you while you forum is small (1GB and 10GB of bandwidth) and I'll set up you forum software (free) if you need, I recommend using phpBB3, PM me if you want more details. I would really consider using them or me though, you may find others that are cheaper, but they won't be better. Anyway enough of me advertising :p

What is your forum about? Its just sometimes you can get away with having cheaper domains depending on the topic.

What did you do to get the $5? Could you do more of it and get more? What skills do you have online? If you are good at designing, you could offer cheap logos and such, if your doing it cheap you will get money in quickly. Cashback sites are a good way of income, but require quite a bit of time.

Questions are what this forum is about. ;)

3. souljaa

souljaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I think I've found a host for now :), and the 5$ are still sitting in my Paypal :), I don't know what to do with it.
    I do do a bit of designing, but not to the extent where I can create logos. And yes! My plan was to use phpBB3 for now, it's pretty great. I have experience with it so it won't be bad.
    The thing is, I have a domain I want set in my mind, the name and everything - it's available, I just need like 4 more dollards to buy it, then I'll start setting everything up - but my main concern is how to make more money.
    And thank you for the Cashback Sites - will surely check them out.
    And thanks for the help :), appreciate it.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Souljaa you should find some of the links in the Featured Threads section of our Online Business Forum helpful, the first two links might be particularly useful for you. There are also lots of freelance sites plus webmaster & trading forums listed in our our Useful Online Business Resources - these are good places to offer your services and earn online. You can also advertise your services for free in our Member Ads & Marketplace forum.

I'd also like to hear a little more about how you earned that initial $5. If you can please tell us how you have already earned some money we should be able to expand on that and help you to earn even more.

Of course we don't. :) The more questions you ask the more we like it, and we can all learn from each other. Please ask any questions you have and we will do our best to help you.

5. Alexishost

Alexishost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To start forum fast , the simple solution is by installing PHPbb . it is free or ask your web host to install it for you.

6. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Could you not set someone to give you a sub domain for now so you can set up your forum and in the mean time try earning money too?

How about posting for money? You could advertise at ForumPromotion's Marketplace and sell at around 3c a post. Just an idea. ;)

And no problem. :)

7. souljaa

souljaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow guys, thanks for the loads of replies.
    Fergal, thank you. I will definetly check those links out.
    As for the 5$, there was a little contest on another forum I had participated in and won lol, nothing fancy. But I did make money before, I'd look for good deals, and I'd post on forums for money, in total I made over 30$, but I spent that on a forum I had before, on either advertising or even a domain I bought for it. Now recently I wanted to start another forum, one I am dedicated to and I'm going to try working really hard on it. I know how forums work now, so I will try to do better than the one I had before.

Alexishost, I know how to start a forum and what not, I've done it before, Thanks :). It's not so much about starting it fast, it's about starting it right in my opinion.

Keaton, thanks again :). Well yeah, with the host I'm going to get the sub-domain and start by creating all the boards and forums and setting the perfect theme and making it unique. That I will do :), and yeah, I'll try that as well.

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the help I can get.
    Souljaa