Starting new business selling products on the street-all advice welcome!

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Dubocster, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Dubocster

Dubocster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone, firstly just to introduce myself to the forum, my name's Charlie, I'm a university graduate from Kent, I studied Film, Radio and television.

I currently work as a ski rep for Crystal during the winter season, and I'm currently doing all sorts of various jobs to tide me over until the next winter!

Now onto the serious stuff. One of my current jobs is for a company called picture pal, who take photos of people at nightclubs and offer the service of selling products like photos and keyrings to them, to take away at the end of the night. It's a simple idea that works well, as the business is established all over the U.K, and the actual production costs are very low compared to the profit they make on each sale.

This inspired me to start a similar idea, but instead of being constrained to the four walls of a nightclub (the one I work is in particular, quite small and doesn't have a high entrance number-and I can still make a profit of around 50 pounds in a few hours) I wanted to take this idea to the streets of the town I live in. It is a VERY popular destination for tourists and in particular some of the local sights in the town are famous.

I'm currently in the planning stages of this, I've established what I'm going to need equipment wise etc, and the costs of product supply are very good. But I need advice on the legalities of selling products on the street-I'd welcome any advice on personal insurance, what rights I'd have and if I'd have to pay royalties to local businesses/sights that would be in a picture. Has anyone tried anything similar before and have any words of encouragement/advice.

Thanks a lot- Charlie

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Charlie. Your idea sounds great and I do hope that you get it up and running.

I'd suggest that you contact the local authority in your area and ask them if they would have any issue with that kind of business on the street. Hopefully they won't require anything from you, but they just might say that you need something like a street trading licence, so it would be a good idea to check. You could phone them up without giving your name, and simply ask for general information.

As regards insurance, if I was you I would simply ring up local insurance brokers and ask them what insurance they feel you need. Phone a few of them and you will get a good feel for the requirements and you soon be able to spot someone selling you something you don't need.

That shouldn't be an issue, if you take your pictures in a public place I don't believe that they have any entitlements to royalties. My advice would be to get out there and get started, you will figure out the administration requirements as you go along.

Good luck with it and please do post back with your thoughts or if you have any further questions.

3. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi your Idea is great,Try to make some plans for the future of your business,Think some new and more Ideas so you can have a good relationship with your customers.

4. Dubocster

Dubocster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks very much, I was considering starting it and 'going with the flow' approach to the legalities of it. It's a case of saving up now to get everything set up in time for the xmas period.

Thanks for all the comments!

5. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a good idea, afraid I can't help with legal advice but I'd imagine it's something quite simple as Fergal said like needing a street trading licence.

6. harjos

harjos
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unique idea of making money. Good luck.

7. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might be a good idea to partner with a local business that get lots of foot traffic and meshes well with pictures. Then your business would be more legit as it piggy backs off another business (just like the night club angle and is probably a huge reason why it works so well - your just doing a day version). You will also probably learn a lot more about running a business and you will make another family happy by adding to their profits! Seems like a win / win if you can pull it off and find the right partnerships. Maybe even rotate throughout the week.

Also check with local authorities and business bureaus too of course as mentioned

8. parkersharon32

parkersharon32
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're thinking of starting your own business it's a good idea to consult with a business attorney. An attorney can help you figure out the legal issues and can advise you as to what kinds of insurance you might need.

9. singingjeanie

singingjeanie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With your motivation it sure sounds like you will go far in life! Best of luck and come back and keep us posted on how you are doing. :)