Starting Auto Parts businees

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by MWB, Feb 10, 2013.

1. MWB

MWB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello all,

I am an entrepreneur starting a wholesale parts business for automobiles.

I will be supplying engine air filters to distributors and retailers.

Why automotive air filters?

More specifically, OEM/afternaket replacement, (as opposed to parts for brand new vehicles, where they'd be supplie to the actual auto brand). After careful consideration I decided to go this route because of three main reasons: 1) This product is fairly recession proof since it is not dependent on new vehicle manufacturing.
    2) There is little relative competition, compared to i.e. wiper blades which are nearly always offered as store brands at nationwide auto parts retail stores. 3) Ease of installation for the typical car owner, this is one of the few highly consumed products which does not typically require any special tools or hoists.

How will I accomplish this? I of course welcome and beg for any and all advice here....

I will be calling on every major auto parts distributor and offering them this product at very competive pricing due to my low initial overhead.

I do however have the following concerns:

1) how will I distribute this product efficiently and effectively? Using 3PL providers or drop shipping? Including facilitation of re-orders.
    2) what is the most effective way to market company? I've thought about sending professional introduction letters prior to an actual phone call.

Thanks for reading

Any advice or questions are invited

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum MWB, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

Do you have experience in the automotive parts industry?

My first suggestion would be that it would be very helpful for you to write a business plan for your business. I'm not sure how you feel about writing a business plan, but it doesn't have to be that daunting. Even a one page plan that sets out what the business will do and how it will operate, would help clarify a lot of issues for you. This article might be helpful to you: How to Write a 1 Page Business Plan.

In relation to your other questions, could you please provide a little more background information. E.g. will you be distributing your products nationally or just in a certain geographic area?

3. khaleel

khaleel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF, I hope you have good luck here with selling your parts business.