Starting an unofficial business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by rhnaut95, Jul 1, 2016.

1. rhnaut95

rhnaut95
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This may be a loaded question, but I'll try and keep as brief as possible.

1 - Myself and two other people are partnering with a publisher to create a product. Although we will be working together to achieve the same goal, we are basically working as independent partners and will be paid individually for our work.

I would like to identify our team as a business entity for marketing purposes. This will allow us to have a website, facebook page, and other tools to help market the product. Are their any legal ramifications we need to be aware of with this? Again, we're all our own separate partner, not an official business. But I'd like to market ourselves as a single entity.

2 - I'm seeking advice on how we should split our earnings. At first I was all for splitting them evenly... But would I be selling myself short, since I came up with the idea for the product, and have been more or less calling the shots thus far? Since I'm more or less the lead, should I consider a 40%/30%/30% split? Does anyone have a rule of thumb to go by when deciding this?

Thanks in advance!

2. rhnaut95

rhnaut95
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just to elaborate a bit more, we will not be taking on customers ourselves. This will all be handled via the publisher, so there's no reason we could ever get sued.