Starting an Online Supplements Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Chris John, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Chris John

Chris John
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys – it’s great to be on this forum where we can exchange business ideas. Lately I’ve been toying with the idea of starting a supplement company. The Internet makes it easy for anybody to sell supplements online and it’s easy for me to create my own website with a merchant account. I also have some local distributors who are willing to buy my products. Initially, I’m looking to private label to save on costs. What do you think?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Chris, welcome to Business Advice Forum, thanks for joining and posting your intro.

That sounds like a good business idea Chris. Have you estimated what your set up costs would be? From what you say in your post the initial investment would not be substantial.

Depending on what country you are in and are selling to, it would be important to consider any legal issues surrounding the supplements you are selling. For example some supplements which are legal to sell in the US cannot be sold without a prescription in EU countries, and vice versa.

Have you thought about why prospective customers will buy from you and not from one of the many supplement stores already online? This is sometimes not the most comfortable thing to be thinking about, however it is important to have a reason why someone would buy from you and not from your competition. This reason will be your unique selling point, that you will highlight on your website and believing in it will greatly improve your confidence in your business.

Good luck with it and please keep us posted.