Starting an online business Help Please?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by JCKustom, Jun 12, 2010.

1. JCKustom

JCKustom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I want to start an online store. I want to start a Rockabilly/Punkabilly Merch store. I want to sell T-shirts, Jackets, CDs, and even a section to trade and sell used CDs and Vinyls. What will I need to get started? I have about $600 in cash, I know Ill need a website and a paypal but what else?

2. Business Forms

Business Forms
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need a promotion for your website.. let others know about your online store.. without that you will not be able to receive any orders.. Can you tell me is your website ready to be published on the web?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum JCKustom, thanks for joining and posting your business questions.

I'd recommend that you complete a business plan for your new business. The idea of writing a business plan scares lots of people, but it really shouldn't as the process can be quite easy and straight forward. All you really need is a short document that outlines how the business will operate, who will be your target customers, how you will promote your business to those customers and how you will make a profit from the business. The links to the business plan templates in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread could be very helpful to you, if you do decide to write a business plan.

You will need an e-commerce software solution to sell products from your website. You might have a read through the two threads below that discuss e-commerce solutions and reply back if you have any further questions.

Online Store Recommendations?
    How much for a great E-Commerce?

Good luck with your new online business!

4. popeye7262

popeye7262
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I found a fantstic site that will litteraly show you how through Training Videos. There are traing videos for example how to create a website, how to com up with a Domain Name, how to host your website, and even how to get traffic to your website.

http://www.makemoney-online-video.com

5. hailin

hailin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

u should definitely find ways to promote ur online shop site.
    there r many online shops now,u should find effective methods.
    remember never be a spammer.

6. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What I would do, is either set this store up as part of a content rich site or create a 2nd site that is related to your store. Use the site to create lots of high quality content pages and drive traffic to your store.

If you just build a stand-alone store, you're going to have to drive traffic manually or pay for traffic. In either case, once you stop participating (paying or driving traffic), the traffic stops and you have no business.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would that concept still work if you had only one site? For example, if the main site was the e-commerce site but the site also had a blog with the content. What are the advantages to having two separate sites on two domains?

8. billieg

billieg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you intend to invest $600 in your online business, that's more then enough
    for a prof looking website, paypal is free
    You'll have to get busy with promoting your site though..
    you need traffic, all about online business is Traffic!
    When you have your website ready, then search for ways to
    get traffic ( although you could do a small research now if you want)

9. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well 1st of all congratulations for your entry to the world of online business. As you know most of the people are attracted towards the online marketing because of it's wide rang to deal with the customers from all over the world.

I have few suggestions for you to achieve the target you have in your mind. I am not a great online marketer but achieved my goal so by that respect I am doing to give you few advices. Please try to understand the meaning since i am not a native Englishman so may be there are few grammatical or spelling mistakes. but please ignore them and try to understand my feelings.

1.What you are doing?
    Most of the time the person forgot what he actually want to do as a online marketer. Yes it's true. About 30% people are always doing something that's not required. Making profit is the main goal of all marketers. So always stick with it. Never give up. You may face some loss in your early stage but never give up! You can actually make profit 10 times that of loss.

2.Do you actually love what you are doing?
    Well it looks stupid but it's important. Many of persons are just doing marketing for "the money". But he must change his/her approach. Work is the key factor. If you actually love to sell jackates, etc then yes, you have a bright future. but if you love to do SEO,etc (just example) then please make sure you at least make money that you have invested.

3.Make a daily target
    It's most important for the online store owners. You must have to set up a daily target to reach more and more targeted audience. it's not useful if no one have any idea of your store. So try to inform them.

4.Do promotions.
    This is most important. You can use many ways like using advertising like Adword,etc. You can also try "email marketing." In my opinion email marketing is the best way to reach thousands of customers who really interested in your stuff. the conversion rate is low but still you can make profit. For this you can hire a freelancer to make real human email address lists by giving him 1$/100 email address etc. But yes must use a freelancer on which you can trust. As I mentioned the conversion rate is low like 5-20% but if you Marketa your product to 1million email users then it's really high profitable!

I hope these tips will help you. All the best for your online store.

Regards,
    Adwait

10. jack563

jack563
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For any one to start a business,it is so important to do a market research, prepare a business plan, arrange for funds and complete the legal formalities involved. If you have the knowledge to do all this ,well and good.If not ,it will be a better option to seek the assistance of a business consultant, because you are the primary investor.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need e-commercial website supported shopping cert. And it will be better if you can accept Multi type of payment other than paypal. Besides, you need to find the supplier and then you just star your online store business

12. ecombiz1

ecombiz1
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

first you create a website for this and do SEO for traffic generation

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you considered trying it out first on ebay before opening your own shop? I mean to check out if your items would sell as you have expected...

14. jamessmith4152

jamessmith4152
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online business is superb. You can make as much money as you want by spending time on internet.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have any experience on online business?

16. mbarty2010

mbarty2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So do you already have suppliers/drop shippers or merchants who can supply you the T-Shirts/Jackets or CDs? If not, then that is the first thing you need to do: find suppliers for the products that you want to sell. Once you find them, you can use a shopping cart software to add these items/collect orders etc. I think that GoDaddy hosting has some in-built shopping cart apps that can be installed without knowing the tech stuff underneath.

17. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you start out using CafePress? A lot of people use them. They are very flexible and you will make a lot of profit. There's almost no work involved with a CafePress store. All you'll have to do is promote.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What's CafePress?

19. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OMG! I can't believe you don't know what CafePress is. That's like asking me what MySpace is. lol
    Anyway, it's a site that lets you create an online store for free. You come up with the designs, promote your items, and they make the items and ship them out.
    cafepress.com

20. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Online stores have proven to be successful business ventures for retail. You definitely need to establish an impressive website to centralize your sales and marketing efforts. It is necessary to have a user-friendly interface to allow customers to easily search and find your products.