Starting a website and relying on ad's

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Mark Bøge, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Mark Bøge

Mark Bøge
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello outthere!:)

First off, i wan't to apologize for my bad english, i may be hard to understand sometimes, but please bear over with me.
    I'm a 16 year old Dane, and i wan't to start my own small-time internet business (or atleast get a good knowledge of the word "Business" for when i get older)

Anyways!

I wan't to start my own little internet business that i will run as a hobby next to my school education. I spend about 5-12 hours a-day on the internet, and i thought it was about time to get started with a business:)

My idea was to host a website similar to http://damnlol.com and http://4chan.org

DamnLoL: A simple website where users look at one funny picture at a time, and has the possibility to submit another funny picture to the site.

4chan.org: "4chan is a simple image-based bulletin board where anyone can post comments and share images. There are boards dedicated to a variety of topics, from Japanese animation and culture to videogames, music, and photography. Users do not need to register an account before participating in the community" - Copied from the frontpage of 4chan.org

And i was thinking if i made a website similar to the ones above, and then fill up with ad's which will provide income to host the site.

Now! I just wanna know if this idea is realistic or not. I'm not looking to start up anything too big, that i can't fit into my life, just a small-start:)

-Do me a favor and write to me what you think about this. All RESPONSE is GOOD RESPONSE

-Mark, a newbie to business:)

2. hoobastank68

hoobastank68
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is only sustainable if you have organic traffic, driving traffic to your site from elsewhere isn't sustainable in the long run.

3. 2misi.com

2misi.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have a great spirit for business at such a young age. I think you could turn your business idea into something realistic but creating a website and getting income from advertisers through the website is not as easy to obtain.
    You have much to learn about internet businesses and SEO if you are seriously interested in doing business online.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Apologies for not seeing your post until now Mark. Did you go ahead with your website or is it something you are still planning?

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How's the site going?
    Anyways, here's my suggestion. Before putting in ads on your site, you need to have enough traffic for it to convert into revenue.
    And since you wanted a site similar to those two, you need to monitor the submission/s of your users, especially if you plan to use Adsense. Users of those sites tend to go overboard and you might end up getting a violation from Google.

Good luck on your venture!

6. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ha ha. Thats an easy recepie for failure. If you think you can cook up something and stick ads around the entire place and then call it a website, hoping it to generate money, then No. its not possible.

I would suggest you first monitor your traffic. For users to visit your site, they need a good reason. Think of ways that will make your site unique and stand apart from other similar sites on the web!

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that, there are lots of websites that generate excellent revenue from advertising?

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've had this plan in my mind the first time tried creating a site. Realized later that it needs more than advertising and real good contents to make it happen. Almost all niche are saturated and google is making it hard for new comers, gotta work hard now..

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think he meant on putting lots of ads with less content. Or something along those lines.

10. kyisama

kyisama
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You shouldn't rely on ads because you will probably wind up disappointed. I tend to place them and forget about them for a while before seeing if I made any progress.

11. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

GekiDan makes an excellent point. If you put up a website with ads so you can make money with the ads, it's not going to work. In a previous post, he mentioned that the website needs traffic for the ads to become profitable. The way to get traffic is to provide content that people are interested in. One of the other members also mentioned SEO. Even if it is performed properly, and gets ranked for the proper phrases (which would cover an entire thread by itself), the content of the website has to appeal to the visitor, that's why they visit. The ads should appeal to the visitor, but they are not the primary motivation for visiting.

12. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Only a few years ago, it was possible to get sites ranked with really awful content. Content was scraped from other sites and "spun" using automated software, resulting in content that was literally unreadable by humans. When people reached those sites (often called "Made For AdSense" or MFA), the ads were often the best thing on the site! People would click on the ads just to get away from the terrible content. I frequently stumbled across those sites when using search engines. They were apparently pretty profitable, judging by the number of them.

Fortunately, the improvements that the search engines have made to their algorithms have made MFA sites largely a thing of the past. In order to consistently rank well in the search engines, sites must be more than simply a platform for advertising. There is still plenty of room for sites with good, well-organized content but the competition is much stiffer, particularly if you are relying primarily on search engine traffic. For one thing, both Google and Bing devote a growing portion of the first page of their search results to images, videos, news, local listings and even their own "scraped" content from sources like Wikipedia or IMDB. The competition for getting someone to click on even a great site is intense.

As a result, I believe that successful sites will need to find an audience that will return. That means good content that is continually refreshed so that a user has a reason to come back. The days of build it and forget it are over.

13. isisplinfo

isisplinfo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Mark.. I love your energy and passion to start something at this young age. That's really great.

Regarding Your Business Plan:
    Well, honestly just seeing given two sites and deciding whether the thrird one (Yours) will work or not possible. The reason is, we don't know their marketing strategy, SEO Strategy, Their market, traffic they get everyday and their earning as well. Without knowing all these, there is no point telling you whether it will work or not.

However, if I were you, I will give it try. To set up Website does not cost that much these days, and with little learning, you can do that too. In starting have simple website and just give it try. Give your 100% for 6-7 months and just see what you are getting.

The worse thing that can happen in future is: Your Site Will not work. But So what?? The experience that you will have will be with you. You will learn marketing, SEO etc. And if it doesn't work, you can sell your website too. So, you are not gonna loose anything. It is worth giving try I would say.