Starting a Pizzeria - no credit history

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by pizzaguy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. pizzaguy

pizzaguy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never believed people when they said they "miss the pizza in NY" or Chicago whenever they moved. I always thought they were just blowing smoke finding something to complain about.... then I moved to northern New England and the pizza here is by far the worst crap I've ever had. Oh my God it's sickening. No matter where you go, it all tastes like they went to the store, bought frozen dough, threw some canned pizza sauce on it, Kraft mozzarella, and Lunchables pepperoni and tossed it in the oven for 20 minutes. My school cafeteria served better pizza than we get from the "best" pizzeria around here. And they all seem to think this one place in town is good pizza. It might be the best around here, but it's like fried toast with pizza toppings and it would be bottom of the barrel in Buffalo. Oh, and the wings suck everywhere except Buffalo as well so I plan on bringing some Buff wings to northern New England as well rather than that "Buffalo Wild Wings" trash.

I'm sure most of you have never heard of Buffalo style pizza, but having lived in NYC for 2 years, New Haven for 2 years, Chicago for 6 months, and DC/Baltimore area for 10 months... and being from Buffalo, no city in America has as high a ratio as quality pizzerias as Buffalo does. It's literally no contest. 95% of the pizzerias you go to in the Buffalo area are good. It's thicker than NY style, the pepperoni is smaller and spicier than the pepperoni they serve everywhere else in the country, they go slightly heavier on the sauce than NY style and it's not a puddle of grease like NY style, heavier on cheese than Chicago and not a puddle of sauce like Chicago style.

For the past few months I've been experimenting trying to make a good Buffalo style pizza and I've finally done it. Almost everybody who tries it says it's the best pizza they've ever had. The only problem is, I'm doing it all at home in my kitchen oven and running a good volume business from here isn't possible.

I'm 22 years old, have no credit history at all, no assets, no business contacts, nothing. I have no business experience. But it's my dream to own a pizzeria and I'm sure a Buffalo style pizzeria would become a hit around here. This entire region desperately needs a good pizza.

How could someone like me with no credit or life experience make something like this happen? Thanks

#1 pizzaguy, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. thealchemist

thealchemist
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

My advice would be to research as much information as possible on what it takes to start a business, and how other successful people started their business. You'll find that there were a lot of people who simply started out of their homes making things and people would buy them. Maybe start by making pizzas for parties and charging a fee. It wont be long before everyone around knows you as the person who makes great pizza. And at that point, you may already have made enough money to invest in opening your own pizza parlor. I'm not an expert at this, but I do know that you have to start where you are in order to get to where you want to be. So if you've got pizza dough, sauce, and all the toppings, then just start making pizzas and selling them right from your own kitchen, and after that, everything will fall into place.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I saw an ad in my local newspaper yesterday, looking for a pizza chef. The ad was by a store in town who had a pizza counter and equipment in their store, they were looking for someone to rent that space and sell pizzas from there. Perhaps you could find an opportunity like that in your area. It would require very little start up funding and would be a good entry for you to have your own business.

Failing that you could look for a job in a pizza restaurant, which allow you to gain experience in the business and to save up some finance for a business of your own in the future.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Making the pizza in your own home is probably not a viable option for two reasons. First, unless you have a commercial kitchen in your home that can pass health inspections or live in an unincorporated area where you fall between the cracks, it is probably illegal. Second, and most important in the long run, is that your can't really make pizza, and certainly not in a commercially viable quantity, without a real pizza oven.

Getting the money to rent a place and equip it, even if it is only carry out and delivery, will not be cheap. It is unlikely that a bank will make a loan a 22 year old with no credit history and no collateral, particularly for the restaurant business which has the highest failure rate of any business.

There are a couple of ways to go. First, find friends and family who have enough confidence to put up the cash. If that is not an option, the next best way is really hit-or-miss but try to find a pizza business (or restaurant with a pizza oven) that is failing. I have seen restaurants where the owner sold very cheap and took a note instead of cash just to stop the bleeding.

• Like Like x 1