Starting a New Tourism Business Need Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Hugo, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Hugo

Hugo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I am planning on starting a new tourism business based on Sri Lanka, where the tours will be conducted. and the target market area is Europe : Mainly UK, France and Spain.
    I Have my relatives in those three countries who would like to work with me.

I have less knowledge with the registration process which i'll need some help.

The plan is : The Call-Center will be in Sri Lanka, and thought of using ip-phones which will be cheaper i guess (could use some help about that too).
    we are going to advertise about the tours in the countries and handle the reservation and stuff from Sri Lanka.
    we will provide transport, hotels along with the tours we organize.
    and of course we will have a website :)

I am sure that my idea needs altering, fine-tuning and tweaks, so please feel free to post your feedback, advice and comments.

thanks.

2. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My advice - find short term rentals and create travel packages. You will be able to offer accommodations that larger competitors will not, you will be able to sell to smokers (who hate non smoking hotels). Good luck with your business venture.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hugo Sri Lanka is a popular tourism destination for Europeans and your business could do very well if it is set up and run well. Do you have any experience of working in the tourism industry?

4. Yanni

Yanni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Travel packages will be critical.

How much start up cash are you looking to invest in this company?

I recommend spending at least 40% of whatever your looking to spend on marketing/advertising.

Make sure that your website is easy to use and determine what type of marketing you would like to do for your website (Paid / Organic)

5. Hugo

Hugo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course yes, i have been working in tourism firms, and studying IATA/UFTAA :)

if anyone know about business registrations in Europe and about ip-phone...i would really love to listen!

thanks both!

i thought of starting with a template, and later hire a company to do a good website. but i really dint understand the paid and organic methods of marketing on a website..if you can provide me with a link to study or some explanation :) please!

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you want to register a business in Europe? Would it be possible for you to register in Sri Lanka and still sell to European clients?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hugo

Hugo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can do that??

8. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For any business related to tourism, I think it is very important to provide tour guides that speak in the languages of the main tourist markets. Make it as pain free as possible and keep any local hustlers or other potential nuisance makers away.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not aware of any reason why not, you generally don't need to have a business registered in a particular country in order to sell services to that country. For example, I sell ad space to clients from quite a few different countries and my business is only registered in Ireland. One thing you should consider, to give potential customers greater confidence in your business is register with associations such as ABTA.