Starting a new site - What should i considering during the planning stage

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by rakebackblogger, Jan 14, 2011.

1. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I am in the planning stage of setting up a new website. I will be selling a single product on the website. I have done some keyword research for my area. It will be fairly basic and will have the home page and 5 other pages. I also want to incorporate a blog but I dont want the blog to appear on the home page. I have a mock up complete of the design.

I will be using the blog to add fresh content/articles to the site and then hopefully get other people to link back to one of my articles to boost backlinks and increase its PR.

My plan is to write a blog post for each of these keyword phases and then use usual backlinking strategy (forum posting, blog comments, article submissions etc) to get visitors/backlinks to my site.

Can people recommend from an SEO point of view what exactly i should be thinking about at this stage of planning?

Thanks for your time

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd suggest that your most important priority at this stage is to describe what type of person will be in your target market, what do they value in relation to the product you are selling and how can you provide them with a better product or service than what they are getting from the existing competitors.

Having a strong knowledge of your target market in terms of what media they use, what websites they visit, their demographics and what they value will allow you to target your message and website design to them much more specifically and hence greatly increase your ability to make profitable sales.

Good luck with it!

3. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks Fergal, have you any advice on what pre planning should go into SEO of the actual website to ensure it is optimised to the max?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

rakebackblogger can you please expand on that a little, are you referring to what CMS the site would use, the content it would use, the structure of the site or something else?

5. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Will do. I mean the structure of the site. Lets say I have 10 keyword terms that I really want to focus on with this new site. What is the most efficient way to build the site so that it will be extemely SEO optimized for these 10 keyword terms. thanks in advance for your advice, really appreciated.

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

One very simple thing to do is to make sure your title tag for each page includes one of the keyword phrases, which is related to the content of that page. Also use the keyword terms in your "description" meta-tags. Then as you add content to your page, sprinkle in the keyword phrases. I noticed you used the phrase "extemely SEO optimized". Assuming you meant "extremely", I would be careful not to use the same keyword phrase too much - that can be considered keyword stuffing, which is a black hat technique used by some unscrupulous marketers, and can end up getting you banned. How much is too much? After you write the content, read it to yourself. Does it seem natural to you - if not, it's probably too much.
    Your blog is a good idea. You're also on the right track with blog comments and article submissions. You might also try linking to the blog, which then links to your site, referred to as "second-tier" linking.

7. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe 4% occurrance is the google aceptable rate, so I'll defo try and stick to that to avoid any word stuffing.

Can i get you to explain this more. I was thinking of having the blog as part of the new website as in http://blog.myproductname dot com, but do you mean set up a separate blog, then write my keyword blog posts and link back to my actual product website?

thanks

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It would be easier to explain with the actual links, but I'll try. Let's say someone has a new type of power tool, for instance, a drill, that is used in home remodeling. They also have a blog about power tools. In an article about home remodeling on Digg.com, the author uses a phrase that links back to the blog. The owner of the blog then uses the same phrase in a blog entry, and makes it a link to the page about the drill. I believe this would work whether or not the blog was separate from the website, since the article would link to the blog page, and the blog page would then link to the product page. If I'm wrong, anyone in the forum who is knowledgeable about SEO can correct me.
    The added benefit of having the blog separate is that both the blog and the website could get ranked, giving you two positions for the keyword phrase instead of just one.

9. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have a read of the updated version of Google's SEO Starter Guide (.pdf) and Google SEO resources for beginners. Both are excellent for beginners and even experienced webmasters.

10. Godard

Godard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is the best thing to optimize your site and to gain traffic , after that comes the visual thing and other related things .

11. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for all your advice . if anyone would like to comment on joeroxx post above about having a separate blog to the site, I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My preference would be to keep the blog as part of the site, that way you have a bigger site with more content. Plus I wouldn't make it a sub-domain such as blog.myproductname.com instead I'd use a myproductname.com/blog domain format.

Using a sub-domain such as blog.myproductname.com is like having two different sites - one at myproductname.com and the other at blog.myproductname.com.

13. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cheers Fergal I was thinking the same seeing as google like fresh content

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I thought about this after making my last post. Of course, having the blog as part of the website is an easy way to add fresh content. My concern was that you would not be able to link from the blog to the website, because it is now part of the website.
    Therefore, any links from the blog to another page on the website would be considered internal inbound links, rather than external inbound links. I'm not sure which, if either, would be better for increasing search engine rankings. This is why I wanted someone more knowledgeable about SEO to comment.