Starting a new forum

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by vipsy, Oct 9, 2012.

1. vipsy

vipsy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Friends,

I want to start a forum of my own on a topic i have in my mind. But before that i wanted to grab some information regarding creating, managing and maintaining it.
    Also please tell me which hosting service should i choose for my forum(i mean plan)
    What complexities i will have to face?

In hope of a positive reply :)

ThankYou

2. fayt

fayt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I highly recommend www.hostmonster.com I've used about 7 or 8 different hosting companies and this one is by far the best.
    Creating, managing and maintaining it is easy, most forum softwares have everything built in. So one single click of the mouse can do everything.

As for advertising the forum, it needs to be a big topic that hundreds of thousands of people are into. Such as this business advice forum, millions need it. As for promoting, target the market that would benefit the most from your forum. If your forum is about Cats and Dogs, target those people with pets, such as groups.

• Like Like x 1
  3. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is what I would do if you were starting a new forum:

Host.
    Forum Software.
    Content.
    Administrator(s).
    And last but not least some decent advertising.

All of that, if you do it correctly will boost start your forum to a reward awarding forum. Just keep in mind to keep it professional.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your aims and objective for your forum, will have a large impact on how you start it off. For example, if you are looking for a fun place for a few people to get together and discuss the topic, you could start off using the services of a free forum host, such as http://www.forumotion.com/, http://www.freeforums.org/ or http://www.proboards.com/.

Do you want to use your own domain name for your forum?

Can you please give a little more info as to what you want to achieve for your forum?

• Like Like x 2
  5. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After you are done, starting a forum with all of the information/suggestion above. You are welcome to join us at forumpromotion.com. Well, this is a forum for forum admins which will help you to manage,run and suggest you for your forum. :D I am member there since 2years and it really helped me to improve my internet presence/activity.

• Like Like x 2
  6. vipsy

vipsy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanxx Everyone :)
    So a forum software will be having all the options which i see on several forums?
    And regarding a host, which plan shud i choose?
    1.Shared hosting
    2.VPS
    3.Dedicated server

7. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd guess that 99% of all forums die because they never reach a critical mass of users. Even most of the successful ones grew slowly at first. I think it is very unlikely that you need to start with anything more than a shared server. If your traffic increases and your site's response time is slowing down unacceptably, then you can always move to a VPS or dedicated server at that point. For now, save your money.

• Like Like x 1
  8. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best results VPS/DEDICATED SERVER as the way to go but as attorney suggest if you are expecting low traffic for the few weeks/month of the release of the website then you should chose shared hosting to save your money. If you get higher traffic then you can move to VPS/DEDICATED hosting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes most forum software products will provide all the standard features you see on forums throughout the web. Good free forum software products include phpBB, MyBB and Simple Machines Forum.

I'd agree with Business Attorney, start off with a shared hosting plan and then upgrade to a VPS or dedicated server if your forum grows to the level where you require it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't tried any forum software except Mybb which is really great to use. It will be practical to first use a shared hosting and then upgrade your account once you see your having success. I found the forumpromotion.net to have the most active site forum admins.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just a quick question... given the number of forums out there, might it be better to come to an arrangement with an existing forum owner - that might give you a better starting point??? M

• Like Like x 2
  12. vipsy

vipsy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thank you vipsy, please do let us know once you actually start your forum.

• Like Like x 1
  14. vipsy

vipsy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Fergal, sure.
    I searched more about forum development and found that it'll take much money, and as of now m moneyless:D
    So i'll jus start with a blog and then connect it to a forum. That'll take time...but wat else can be done.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The cost really depends on yourself. It would cost a lot to start a professionally designed forum using a paid forum script. On the other hand you could start a forum absolutely free, using one of the forum hosts I linked to above. One of the free forum hosts that I forgot to mention is IcyBoards.

• Like Like x 1
  16. J Greig

J Greig
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Always start with free hosting when you open a new forum. It not only ensures you that if the forum doesn't work out, you haven't spent a whole lot of money but it gives you everything you'd need to start off with. Once you outgrow the shared hosting, move onto a VPS (depending on what you need).

I wish you the best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. vipsy

vipsy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dis free forum host sounds good:p
    will i be able to earn some money from free forum?
    If yes, then after earning sufficient money, will i be able to self host it?
    If yes, will i have to compromise with my traffic,ads or anything else?

18. vipsy

vipsy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One more thing, i've thanked every post on this thread, yet my bio shows that i've thanked nobody!!

19. J Greig

J Greig
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Look on your information to the left of each post. It shows you have thanked 12 times.

As for earning, yes you can. Most allow you to modify the code and I know from experience that IcyBoards allow it. I am sure IcyBoards allow you to generate a full backup of the forum and then you can self host it yourself on a new host. Traffic may be compromised as you'd have to purchase a domain then although you could have the domain hosted with IcyBoards and then when you have self hosted the forum the domain is still the same which allows members to continue arriving at your forum.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Leon

Leon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is hard to choose a host for your forum, however, you always need to bear in mind the amount of traffic you're hoping to gain. Always plan ahead and make sure you pay for more space than you think you'll need - It's worth it, you don't want potential future downtime because you mistook the amount of traffic you will be getting.

Think about how much you will be advertising your site, how many images it will have, if you will host anything which can be linked to off-site (high resolution images etc) and if you do, cater for that when choosing your bandwidth package.

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1