Starting a New Forum

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by John1, Jul 29, 2010.

1. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok I have decided to start a new community (my others are staying online). But the problem is I don't know what to base my community on.

I have knowledge in the following forum niches:

Webhosting
    Forum Administration
    Forum Promotion
    General Chat
    Gaming

But I just don't know were to start. Normally I have a great domain and niche and I am ready to start, but now-a-days with the many forums that are coming online I am finding it hard to find unique forum to start. I can obviously run a forum well (not trying to sound big headed) and the hosting is sorted, I just need ideas on a domain name and what to base my forum on.

All ideas are welcome and if you have an idea for a name please PM me it, I don't want it snapped up :rolleyes:

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How many forums do you own? Why are you determined to start a new one, would you not prefer to work on one of your existing ones and bring it to its full potential, before starting a new one?

Try to start a forum on whatever you are most passionate about, something that you will really enjoy discussing and helping to educate others about.

3. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I only currently own 1 which is in my signature. Other than that I have no other jobs on other forums and starting a new one will help raise traffic to the one I have already.

How? I will be promoting it in a whole different way to the one I have now, so getting more unique members and traffic. It will be linked to Forum Lair aswell which in turn will raise the members and traffic there.

I think I have the knowledge and time to run 2 forums, as Forum Lair is currently at it's best, all edits have been made, all plugins have been added (that we currently need) and having another forum will help keep me busy aswell even though I own FL.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmmm... I think you should focus more on your existing forum before starting a new one.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've got to agree with the guys on growing the one you have first, but if you feel you can do both at the same time, good luck to you! :)

Between you and I (and everyone else at BAF :D), I'd be starting a forum dedicated to all things social media related and in particular how to promote yourself and/or your business on it. I think that's where the money, and interest, is going to be in the next five years minimum. 500 million Facebook users all had to start somewhere and learn (or are learning, or want to learn) how to get the best out of it. I'd include everything from the very basics like how to navigate whatever social media medium it is, how to use the features etc and go upwards from there. In fact, you might even want to just concentrate on Facebook alone.

Out of your choices, if I had to pick one I'd pick forum administration and just because it's something that I enjoy talking about and doing more than the rest. As Fergal said, go with your passion. :)

(Though I would kill for a decent General Discussion forum that had some intelligent and fun conversations going on too. I get sick of answering "boxers or briefs". :p )

#5 Kay, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010