Starting a hazmat removal business. Need help with pricing and producing customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Hazmat, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hazmat

Hazmat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of my family is in a similar field. My dad is a PHD industrial hygienist and I can get equipment and training through him.

How would I market such a business? It seems like hazmat removal is something that you look for the exact day you need it. I don't think people plan to have a chemical spill or something of that nature.

Also, my bigger problem is I scoured the internet for hazmat removal prices and nobody keeps a price sheet. It's always "call for estimate." I have no idea what I should be charging.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, once you have a spill, no one wants to waste time searching for a hazmat removal company - because it is "hazardous material", they want to clean it up, as the saying goes, "now, if not sooner." So, someone who would have a need for hazmat removal would want to search for someone who's name and contact info they can keep handy where they can quickly get to it when they need to. Once you, and your employees, get the training you need, you can market yourself as someone who can get the job done quickly and safely - but you have to back it up by actually getting the job done quickly and safely. As you build your reputation, you can get clients through referrals, as well as the usual marketing methods.
    Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but according to the information I found, here in the US, a hazmat worker earns about $18 - $27 per hour, depending on experience.