Starting a film production company

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Telephoto, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Telephoto

Telephoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,

I am just starting out in this "business world" I don't know much about business I won't say that I do. I know how I can do some smaller advertising in my area, but as for large scale marketing/advertising I don't know how.

If anyone can help me out here are some issues I am facing which are the biggest issues.

-Picking a company name, I checked trademark registration and WI business name search, the name of what I want my company doesn't show up, but the website is taken.
    -I don't know how to go about getting loans and grants.
    -I am trying to learn, but a lot of this business help programs really are confusing to me.
    -I have been doing videography for 2-3 years now freelancing, it's difficult to market myself despite my skillset. (Winning awards for best film/Making international television through contests on Satellite tv/local news etc...) I feel like I can use this to my advantage some how.
    -I haven't made much money doing this though, so I sell things online to keep afloat so to speak.
    -I want to expand to states next to me as well, but I don't know how I can do that and since I haven't had regular jobs how much more difficult will it be to get loans and grants? I am guessing much harder.
    -I would just goto an attorney but honestly I just don't have that sort of money at the moment unless I use grant money to pay for them, which would kind of nullify the point of the company funding probably.
    -How much are taxes yearly assuming I make little to nothing, just for owning the name? Also to have it trademarked/buying the name in the State of WI.
    -If it's just me do I want LLC/LLP/Corporation? If I plan on having people help me out once in awhile on shoots, but nothing "official" what do I name it? Also I'll be working from my home.

Sorry for all the typical questions, I assume you get these all the time, but if I could get any help of course it is very much appreciated, thank you all for your help and guidance in my journey to starting a business.

2. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Tele,

Before getting to any of those questions my first question would be do you have a portfolio? Do you have any ideas or projects in the works? Do you have any repeat clients? What is the main way you would be making money (commercials, weddings, parties etc.)? Do you have a niche or unique selling point. Before you get into the much more technical, legal and difficult stuff you will want to hash out all the basics first. Come up with a business plan. Start landing some good paying jobs. Build out work connections and client referrals. Get some high end projects under your belt. The most of the stuff you mention above will fall into play and you will want to meet an accountant and attorney in your area. They are not as expensive as you think when you find the right ones.

3. Telephoto

Telephoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a demoreel yes. I have several non paying jobs currently in the works for a magazine and just other personal content. No repeat clients of yet as I am still trying to figure out the marketing properly. Music videos and possibly commercials down the line will be my hope for main income. I was going to use the grant money for some necessary equipment I would need, such as a dolly/jib in my productions which would raise the bar on production value. I have done work for 1 celebrity client, but they stiffed me on the pay and I haven't spoke with them since.

Edit:

I forgot to mention it seems if you have a business name you're more respected in this industry in my area anyways, they seem to respond to someone who has an established name, but for that I feel like I may have to advertise a bit more other than just word of mouth which is slow process in the musician area particularly