Starting a business that resells diff. products from other countries?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Sehn Miller, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Sehn Miller

Sehn Miller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! I'm new here. Like just-signed-up new.

I'm a junior high school student who has lots of business ideas but has zero knowledge on business and business laws.

So about the title... I'm thinking of starting some kind of business that works like a mini grocery store but instead of food, we have local postcards, toys, shirts, magnets, and products exclusive to that country.

Does the intended business need to secure partnerships and permission from the original stores? Is it even legal? Is it too big of a business? How does it work?

As I said, I know absolutely nothing, but I want to know about these things as early as now.

Thank you! ^_^

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Basically, what you are looking to do is import items from another country and sell them here. Unfortunately, you didn't mention what country you are from, and there is apparently no way to specify it in your profile, so I don't know where "here" is. If I am correct about the type of business you wish to start, you would be obtaining merchandise from manufacturers and/or wholesalers in the country of origin, not stores. Because you would be importing merchandise from another country, there are laws that need to be followed. It may be too big of a job for a junior high student, but perhaps you can find wholesalers who already import the merchandise you need, and all you would need is the store to sell them in. There are various laws for that as well, but they wouldn't be as involved as they would if you imported the merchandise yourself.

3. Sehn Miller

Sehn Miller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for explaining that in words that are easy to understand :)
    I did not specify which country I'm in as I'm afraid that no one would reply if I did. I'm just looking for the general idea anyway. So importing is what I need to look at for this kind of business? And for the laws, do I also need to consider the ones from the other countries? Or maybe just get someone knowledgeable that can handle those.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Why would someone not want to reply if you specify the country you are from? There are members here from a variety of countries, possibly even some from your own. There are various different reasons why certain things cannot be imported to or exported from a specific country, but that would probably apply in your case. Most of them involve chemicals, drugs, exotic animals and other things you would probably not be involved in. If you do seriously consider starting an import business, you would probably want to consult with someone familiar with international law, specifically commerce.

5. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should work for sometime under any other business owner. learn how they work and how they manage their business. so you can probably understand how other people run their business, after some experience in the related field you can easily manage things for yourself.

6. Stef

Stef
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's one way of doing it. Another way of getting experience is to do it how I did, however it may be more difficult in your industry.
    Because I am an independent web designer I search on the internet for other business managers who own their own web design company. I just send them an email to talk about the business we are both in, and tell him or her we both can get fresh ideas out of it.

Now, I don't think you'll find a lot of people on the internet which have their own local store, Sehn. So what I recommend you to do is just go out on the streets and walk into some stores which are about the same as yours, and start talking to the manager.
    Another pro tip is to take pen and paper with you to write things down. It will be easier to remember all the important stuff afterwards and you'll seem very interested towards the manager and what he's telling you. (I hope you understand what I just said, I couldn't really figure out how to explain you what I wanted to say)

Good luck with it! :)

- Stef

#6 Stef, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  7. david14beck

david14beck
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am agree with you its the other way for managing your stuff but how can you manage things if you don't know about it? Starting your own business or company is a good thing and managing it yourself is a other thing. so i think if you have enough experience to do it by yourself then do it but if you can't then i think you should work for sometime in the related field so that you can easily understand and manage your stuff..

8. RTSteam

RTSteam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should be familiar with your country as well as other country's importation laws. However, since you are talking about selling local postcards, toys, shirts, magnets, and products (most likely small gifts and knick-knacks) exclusive to that country. Why not look for a trading partner, who could send the goods to you via courier services? Let's say we are the ones doing business.

You: Hey dude! I need more postcards and a couple of shirts, can you send some to me.
    Me: Sure dude! How many postcards and shirts you want?
    You: I need at least 5 dozen postcards and 3 dozen shirts.
    Me: That's all?
    You: How about throwing in a couple of unique souvenirs I could cash in?
    Me: Hmmm... I have some kinky paper weights. You might like this yo! It's kinda funny and hilarious actually. Also, we have some unique bottle openers made from animal bones.
    You: Okay! Throw in some of those as well.
    Me: So when do you need this?
    You: I hope you can send this before next Monday.
    Me: Well... (brief pause)... Okay. It's no biggie.
    You: Thank you dude. Same arrangement. I'll give you a down payment and send you the rest once I receive the merchandise.
    Me: Sure dude. I'll send you the merchandise as soon as I have them prepared.

This would work, assuming that you don't do something illegal. Moreover, this may pass as an overseas package, albeit a large one. But hey, this wouldn't be a problem in your country I suppose.

9. benecklary

benecklary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

your business idea is good online grocery is nice idea people can order or request their brand products. if you want to import from other countries take advice from the consultants they will help you out. mostly goods need to received by you that will be exporters responsibility you no need to worry about that. you have tyo concentrate on how to sell the products by online or by offline.

10. LouiseMartinez

LouiseMartinez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, it depends on the country. But there are a lot of solutions to that. You can ask someone you know what are the basic rules – ask someone who has the experience or knowledgeable enough about your business environment, your tax situation and your financial statements.