Starting a business like Fiverr, NEED ADVICE plz

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by votinh4o8, May 22, 2010.

1. votinh4o8

votinh4o8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,

I have over 12 years of experience in Web Programming and IT. I'm currently working but I hate living on paycheck to paycheck so I am thinking about opening a business, something like Fiverr.

Is it legal to do something the same as Fiverr does? Many I will do "What can you buy for $10?"

What do you think? If I really start this business, I have a lot more idea to adding it and I think I can do better than Fiverr. But what do I need to do to get started?

Please give me some idea.

2. votinh4o8

votinh4o8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the second OPTION is to write a Programming Script like Fiverr and sell it to website owner who want to host like Fiverr. Is it legal to do that? Please help.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum votinh4o8, thanks for joining and posting your business questions. Both options are legal. Legally speaking, there's nothing to stop you from setting up a business that's similar in concept to an existing business. By way of example, Yahoo could not stop Google from setting up another search engine.

You could start by preparing a brief business plan for your idea, even if you only spend a couple of hours on it and write a few pages, it would help you to clarify where you want to go with the business. Some of the business plan templates in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread, might be helpful to you.

Great minds think alike, we have another member doing something similar. Fiverr's success is obviously inspiring a few people.

4. Imarketed

Imarketed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fiverr like script

Hi,

Your idea of wanting to come up with a website like fiverr is a great idea. I say this because I have my own site on the way which is going to cost $700-$900 per license per domain. I am looking for 1 person to work with who has php programming skills and knows a lot about marketing. Fiverr lacks in a few functions which members have complained about. If you are interested in working on a joint venture with my site which will be better than Fiverr with more user friendly options then feel free to PM me. I am only looking for a partner in this project who is serious about working a few hours per day on building this venture. Drop me a line for more info if your interested.

regards

5. votinh4o8

votinh4o8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wait, we need to get a license to run a website? I asked because I used to run a domain without a license for couple years without a problem, I also hosted a couple website for computer service in my local area too. Can someone tell me more on the license? Thanks.

Sure, write to me at [email protected]

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No, you actually don't need a licence to run a website. If you are running paid software, you need a licence from the software producer, to run that software, but you don't need a licence to have a website.

7. votinh4o8

votinh4o8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right, I don't know why he paid for license.

8. Imarketed

Imarketed
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Software License

Hi,

What I actually meant to say was I paid $900 for the development of the script and when it is completed then I have completed ownership of the script. If I wish to resell it then I will be issuing 1 license per domain otherwise others could resell it for many other domains.
    I am not completely sure if I will be reselling the script as I will also personally make use of it for a website. For those interested in keeping up to date with the launch of the site feel free to visit nixerr [dot] com and subscribe to an email notification of the launch.

P.S. There is also another clone on the way from another developer which will be sold per license per domain at a cost of around $800. Mine will go (if I decide to resell) for around $600 per license per domain.

Regards

9. AymericG

AymericG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe you can test your idea with a website like taskarmy.com/taskrr that lets you run a fiverr website for free?

Then if it works out well for you, you can invest more money and time in your idea?

10. votinh4o8

votinh4o8
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No I'm very good at registering and set up a domain my self. I don't want to post my script anywhere people going to steal it.

11. AymericG

AymericG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

taskrr IS the script and it sets up the domain name for you if needed.

All you have to do is give a title to your website, set the price you want, fill a few additional fields and start bringing people to your website.

Zero cost, zero risk.