Starting a business as a teen...help!!!?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by expressbms0, Jan 5, 2016.

1. expressbms0

expressbms0
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm 16 and I want to start my own online business where I can make little things like bath bombs and decor for bedrooms, and all the money I get in profits I want to save to buy little kids Christmas presents. I don't know how to get started about this and if I should just sell stuff on etsy or what's best. I currently have a job so it's just something id be doing on the weekends and I have money to fund it.

2. BA

BA
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Etsy sounds like a good start. It's straightforward, simple and proven. Hopefully people like your crafts and will buy them :)

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This sounds like a charity, or what would be referred to as a "non-profit". Check with your local and state governments to see what kind of regulations would apply to your business. Only when you are sure that you are aware of all the pertinent regulations, and you are adhering to them, should you then determine the best way to sell your items. There may also be regulations you must adhere to if you are not forming a charity yourself, but are selling on a charity's behalf.
    Etsy does have regulations about selling items on behalf of a charity, but I couldn't find anything about an actual charity selling on Etsy. the article does have links to other resources within Etsy you might be able to use to find the information you need.

4. CorporateViking

CorporateViking
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

I would start the Etsy to put up pictures of the products as well as to put what you are doing and why you are doing it on your profie.

Then I would start at local farmers markets and indy stores and ask who would like to CONSIGN your product to their store. You COULD spend all day behind the counter or screen trying to find customers or you could make a bunch of balls, drop them off at other peoples stores for them to sell your product on consignment without them having to worry about overhead.

BONUS: They get the ability to authentically talk to their customer about a beautiful cause they support. If you decide in the future to take it to the next level you can easily become a distributor with a track record of success already cemented.

5. Alex77789

Alex77789
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So nice of you, man. It's good if you can repair computers or bicycles. Or you can walk dogs and take care of them, you know.
    There's a site, where you can find some nice ideas to earn money))))
    businessmentalmodels.com/some-business-ideas/

6. vince0190

vince0190
    uix_expand uix_collapse

online business is a good start, all you need to do is create an adds and blogs just promoting you stuff.
    i started posting my business using facebook, i created a second account just for posting my business by the way food variety that i run a business through online

7. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it's great that someone so young is thinking like this. I hope you do really well - good luck

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lily Alvin

Lily Alvin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your thinking is very positive and creative. You should get ecommerce training before starting your business like selling on amazon and eBay and other local sites. Also learn to advertise and to promote your business on social media because it can also boost your business like any other thing.

9. geeksonrepair

geeksonrepair
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, online business is a good platform o earn money, but only if you will work according to rules and regulations.it is a good start.
    Have you get all training about this business? If yes then go ahead.

10. joy farnadis

joy farnadis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It s great taht u are thing start a business in very young age. keep it up

11. Jan Monique

Jan Monique
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are interested in coming up with a way to earn money that can actually turn into a business, my suggestion is to do what you love! And as cliche as this sounds, turning a hobby or a passion into a business is the best way to have a happy business! Look into the story of 'BeeSweet Lemonade' and see how an 11 year old girl turned her love for bees and lemonade into a successful juice product! Just a little inspiration! :)

12. machinedock

machinedock
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you have money to sell the business online(seriously) , why not at least go and have a look around the market first in terms of competition or the places where your online and offline business can actually suit best for those places keeping in with regulations, then getting all the correct necessary information, you should be able to start your business, that could just not end at the beginning, but can go for a longer period too.
    Then Advertising and Marketing about your products is the best way to get people know of your offers and products, do not tell them it is for charity at beginning, because first you need to let your business run a bit much around then after sometime you could late by giving all to charity.

13. Host.AG

Host.AG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should also look on reddit or fiverr for jobs you can do for a small amount of money. There is also freelancer.com where you can take freelancing jobs. Good luck.

14. HenryOwen

HenryOwen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd recommend you start an online business. Yes, Etsy would be a great platform on selling your items. Try Instagram and Facebook too. I believe social media are also a great platform to sell your items

15. Justin Miller

Justin Miller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seo is good way to online promote your starting business. You can get more visitor on your business through seo back links.

16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It'd a little early to start thinking about SEO, since he hasn't even decided how to start his business yet. and it has been suggested he start with a site like Etsy. Once the business becomes big enough, and he can design and promote his own website(or hire someone to do it for him), then he can think about thinks like SEO, PPC, and Social Media.

17. Micheal Anderson

Micheal Anderson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your age does not matter. I have a solution for you according to your situation. You should buy a franchise like coffee shop instead of run a new business because in new business you face many problem.

18. Anupama Raikar

Anupama Raikar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey you can start any business related to your interest. online business is a great way of improving your talent.as you told you are 16 year old so you can consume your time in online business and you can focus on both study and business also.