start VPS business

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by paulmarks, Jan 29, 2015.

1. paulmarks

paulmarks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - currently working for a VPS company and looking to start on my own. It is more cost effective to buy new hardware or just rent from Iaas providers? Any help appreciated, tnx

2. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been running a hosting business for over 1 1/2 years now and still learning the intricacies of all the software and most important how and where to market. I believe I'm finally getting a grasp on things and my business has tripled within with past month or so.

3. knobbychees

knobbychees
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a wrong perception, however, that cheap web hosts entail poor quality of services because there are really, indeed, reputable web host providers that are offering affordable or cheap web hosting packages.

4. paulmarks

paulmarks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have any advice for me? Are you renting your servers or have you bought them?

5. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe the best way is to buy your own hardware for sure but you should have knowledge of not only management but also a marketing

6. MacDID

MacDID
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know vpsnine.com offer really nice vps hosting solutions at reasonable rates. It would be great if you contact them to get all the things cleared.
    They offer them in various server locations like Singapore, Hong Kong, New Zealand, South Africa. Use code REPZ15 for a 15% discount on first time orders.

7. Niksentok

Niksentok
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am 100% sure that kvchosting.com ssd vps will work fine for your needs. ssd vps is 10x faster than regular one.
    The response times are lightning fast. These guys are the best out there, they offer great services, and customer support.

8. paulmarks

paulmarks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

New Zealand and South Africa locations sound really good. I think I will give them a call.

9. Crook-sam

Crook-sam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Choosing a web host can be a daunting task as they are lots of web hosts claiming they are the best. read customer hosting reviews before making final decision.

10. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you are currently working for a hosting company so I guess you know how exactly it operates. You should also do some more research on the hosting industry, because today running a hosting business isn’t a joke. At initial stage I would not recommend you to invest in own hardware as it will be a costly step; instead you should rent a server/s from a reputable service provider that also provides a good managed hosting service so it will eventually cut off the tedious system administration work and you can focus more on how to attract new customers.

11. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please define with specs you need

12. paulmarks

paulmarks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, BODHost, I totally agree with you. Working on attracting more clients and improving hardware performance. Many people say that first 2 months are decisive for a hosting business.

13. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say first two years are pretty crucial for hosting business, because gaining customers trust is also a bit challenging job. Second thing, you will also need to invest in R&D (research and development) to come up with exclusive hosting solutions, because to stand different in the crowd one must have something unique (what that is who knows!). Good luck!

14. waspSta

waspSta
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They have one click installs that you can install on your server with just one click of a button.

15. Molen

Molen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For a start purchasing vps will be perfect option, I believe

16. paulmarks

paulmarks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys, I cannot purchase vps if I want to start a vps business :). I agree with BodHost here. Thank you for the thoughts. I am planning myself on renting hardware, I know a few tricks from experience to make the deployment safer and worthier for my team, but I appreciate good advice when I see it. I need to start with a solid, fully redundant network. All though it may be a little pricier at start, I find it better on the long run. I am thinking Voxility and/or Softlayer and bring some DDoS Mitigation on board. Have you changed providers over the years?

17. gina666

gina666
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is VPS?

18. Jumpline

Jumpline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make sure the host has the payment option your looking for. I don't even think twice about a host that doesn't accept paypal.