start the new business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by sunitahankacho, Sep 13, 2013.

1. sunitahankacho

sunitahankacho
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi! I am Sunita. Before last two years I am living a life of housewife. I don't want to stay as being a housewife anymore. Now I thinking to start a small business of handicraft. I know the idea of knitting and know to make a cloth named Khadee. Actually Khadee is that clothes which is made by cotton. But I don't know the idea to publish the business. I have never done like this before. I am feeling some hesitation. Would you please give me some idea to publish my small business to reach on a success. Thank you

2. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Sunita, Welcome to BAF community, thanks for joining us. :)

You can start your business initially, by contacting different clothes vendors. If they like your design you can supply them and earn.

Secondly, you can start your own shop but, it needs some capital.

Thirdly, you can open a website for selling. It will also need some investment.

Fourthly, you can tell your friends and relatives that you are doing this handicraft job and if they are interested they can check your items and if they buy from you it will be a really nice start. You will then slowly slowly get into the frame.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Sunita, I admire your ambition and our members will be delighted to help you in any way they can.

Can you please tell us what country you are based in?

4. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Sunita
    Reading your post I hadn't heard of Khadi fabric before, so I had to Google for some info! I came across quite an interesting pdf about Khadi history http://www.soas.ac.uk/southasianstudies/keywords/file24807.pdf
    I'm added it here so the rest of us can have some idea of what the fabric, the garments and products represent. I also found beautiful images of khadi fabric and garments. What an amazing history and beautiful cloth! What is your idea? Do you want to spin the cloth and sell it? Do you want to make garments of Khadi fabric and sell those? Or make products of Khadi fabric for sale? Or a combination? Do you hand spin? Are you using cotton, silk or wool? How big is the demand for Khadi fabric and how big is the competition?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd start out local with something like that. Get your friends and family to buy from you and have them ask their friends and family to check out your product. Then let it expand from there. If your town enjoys it, the next town over might as well, and etc. and etc. Maybe then you can become more nationally recognized but it will take time and dedication from your part to get to that point. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing you need to know is start working on it right away. Unless you take the first step you would keep thinking and contemplating.
    Start working on the fabric, make something out of it and start showing it to your neighbours & relatives. WHen you have a decent colletion you could hold an exhbition at your house and invite people. This could be a easy and less expensive way to start. Later the possibilities are endless.

You could come back and share how it is going and we would help you make it better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sunitahankacho

sunitahankacho
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your compliment manager. I am from Nepal.

8. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Sunita, Welcome to the BAF.

Congrats on deciding to try and push for entrepreneurship. There are some great suggestions given here by the other members of BAF and anyone of them you could take to start your push to entrepreneurship. But my only advice that I would give you is to act on any advice given. Whether its what magician661 said with contacting various clothes vendors, or what Shawn, Rocky, or Changed Creation Changed Creation suggested ... either way, you need to take action.

I know you said you never done this before and you have some hesitation, but you obviously have an interest in it. Hopefully, you'll take the advice given here and use it. And give us an update on your status periodically and we can help you along your journey.

Wish you the best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is as amwarner says: The most difficult step is taking the decision and acting out in faith to it with the first step to start. If one keeps in mind that "failing" is just a learning curve and part of the game, don't let anything stand in your way. My first real start in business was also as "a housewife", and starting with what you know is the best place to start! The most important thing you need to focus on is figuring out what type of person wants Khadi fabric, how they want it, when they want it, and develop as many solutions to the problems they have in getting it in the way that they want it and really being very creative in finding out where these people hang out so that you can develop the most effective way that costs you nothing in the beginning to connect and engage with them!

• Like Like x 1
  10. KIOO

KIOO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, Sunita. I am glad to know that you want to start your business rather than being a housewife. There are several NGO's and INGO's that help in starting handicraft business, so, you can consult with them for investment. Also, you can initially sell your products with your relatives and friends, so that you can drag a path for starting the business. Also, many fairs are being conducted in many countries regarding handicraft items, so you can participate in those fair conducted in your countries. That can make people aware about your products.

11. Redyfox

Redyfox
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Sunita, probably you will need an online payment provider for online payments (you are going to sell your clothes, aren't you? :)) For my little book shop I use this Payment Service Provider and I like it. It's trustful and fares are modest. Good luck to you!

12. StevenF

StevenF
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to build up some followers - friends, family, friends of family, friends of friends! Sell sell sell to these, set up things like social media accounts/business pages for your business and create a name for it. This way you are increasing awareness for your product and friends will help you out with recommendations. You can start your own ecommerce website, even consider ebay? Look into these things and good luck!

13. kingzendo

kingzendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Any ideas, any target, you can post it at Business Advice Forum:$$: