Start an Affiliate Program?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Redd, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would it be worth it to start an affiliate program so you can, theoretically, make more money [from your website, blog, etc] whilst spending less on promotion?

You could [by promising to share the profits with those who send clients your way] recruit hundreds if not thousands of people who'll promote your business/site for free. If you make no money, no one makes any money. Not too bad, is it?

Thoughts?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It depends on what type of website you have, and what type of product/service you are selling. When you say "blog,etc", I don't think you can make money from affiliates to a blog, and I wonder what "etc" actually refers to. It may be more work to set up the affiliate program as well, and you may be working harder than if you just sold your product/service yourself. How would the affiliates sell your product/service? Would they actually do the selling, or would they just generate leads for you? Would the affiliates also have an affiliate website? What type of marketing assistance would you give them? How much would they make per sale - a fixed amount, or a percentage? These are some of the questions you would need to answer when setting up your affiliate program.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Apollyon

Apollyon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll echo what joeroxx said, but I'll take it a step further. When you do an affiliate program, the great benefit is that you save a lot of time since you have others doing the marketing for you. But here's the kicker: you need to make it an affiliate program -worth- considering. There are very few affiliate programs that I have been interested in simply because the reward wasn't reward the cost of my own time.

If you're in a competitive niche where I'm paying a lot of money to funnel leads to you and I get $5 per lead, you can probably bet that I'm not going to take part.

For this reason, I urge you to reframe your thinking from "how do I get a ton of sales easily cheap" to "how do I incentivize people to want to bring me truckloads of sales"? That will be the difference between your success and failure.

• Useful Useful x 1