Sports website needs honest review!

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by adwaitk007, Jan 3, 2010.

1. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi friends!

I have a sports website called Sports Stats Blog.
    I need your honest review!

Here is my address:

www.sportsstatsblog.com

Regards
    adwaitk007

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Overall the blog looks good adwaitk007 and it is appealing on first visit.

Have you decided on who your target market is and how your blog will benefit them? You might consider having a good look at some of your competitors sites and think of ways that you can offer something better than they can.

When it comes to the SEO of your blog it could do with a little improvement. The title tag of your home page is "Sports Stats Blog". The title tag is very important when it comes to SEO and it should contain keywords that are relevant to your site. The words used in your title tag should be terms that your potential visitors will actually be searching for. I don't believe that many of your visitors will complete a search for "Sports Stats Blog" so you should look at that. Use the Google Keyword Tool to get some help with selecting your keywords.

You should also consider using more search engine friendly perma-links for your blog posts. http://www.sportsstatsblog.com/Ponting_warned_his_team_mates would rank better in the search engines than http://www.sportsstatsblog.com/?p=562. Also when potential visitors look at your search engine listings they are more likely to click on a link like the first one than an unidentifiable link with numbers.

Another suggestion that I would make is that your blog would look more appealing if you included some relevant and attractive images in your blog posts.

Some of our other members will hopefully post back with feedback & suggestions on other aspects of your site.

Please post back with your thoughts and I will give you some further feedback.

3. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot!:)

I will definitely follow your advice!
    Well i need help on permaliks. This website is WP. So how to create permalinks suggested by you? I need as following:
    1.article title should come there
    2.If anyone click on category, say "article" then link should be "http://...com/article"

Is it possible?:confused:

4. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi. Thanks for sharing. The blog looks good, though I have few tips -
    1). Is it about all sport stats or just Cricket as I see a Cricket scoreboard - If yes, blog posts should relate to cricket and not other sports like Golf etc.
    3). You should have a headline mentioning that your blog is all about, otherwise it is just a load of tid bits with no direction . Is is a sports news blog, is it to keep readers up to date on cricket scores ? or what ?
    3). Instead in some 2 -3 line news (it will NOT help your SEO techniques at all) write some quality articles - of if you cannot, then hire a writer (I too offer article writing services, but anyways thats not the point here :)).
    Hope this helps - Just my 2 cents.

5. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hey thanks buddy!

well no! my site is not totally for NEWS. It's still in update process. mean while I am writing articles. well about score card, i just found this plugin. I searched for many more! But found only cricket. If any one know any widget which gives every sports score then it will be really nice.

And It's not 2-3 line post. It's shortened. If you click on a specific article then you will find full length article.

Well thanks again!

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - Okay in case it is not just news... Maybe a heading for your blog can be - Read all about sports news, latest score updates, know your favorite sport stars and much more. (Something like that which tells readers what blog is all about).
    I was only able to see 2-3 lines before, now I can see complete article. In case you want to show first few lines then don't forget to add the 'read more' tag at end so people know there is more to it :)
    Sorry I have no clue about plugins - Maybe someone else can help you here.

Thx,
    JO

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Isn't this blog already been reviewed sometime before?

My review.
    The blog itself is appealing on my first visit. And I might say I'm pretty right on my first sentence since I remember that logo of yours. Anyways, the words "Hello! Welcome to..." is quite disturbing. I think you can omit that part of the page.

Plus, you also need a categories section on your sidebar.

8. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup! You remembered? Oh that's really amazing:)

Yes. I posted it second time since my whole site gone dead! Don't know why! But no problem. I never give up. I redesigned it, rebuilt it. And I got PR2 which is really amazing. I never thought about it too. But if google encouraging me then why I give up. So again started doing some serious work on site. So now I just want to know if I am on right track or not?

Probably yes.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So I'm right. :D
    Well, your site seems to be back on track. Good luck on it.
    Anyways, congrats on having it on PR2.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have a look at this tutorial on WP Permalinks. Please reply back to let us know if it answers all your questions and provides you with the info you need to use permalinks. Also, please let us know if you have any further questions on it.

Have you had a look through the sports widgets on http://www.widgetbox.com/ ?

Here's another sports score widgets that might help you - Tennis

You might also have a look at http://www.cgscoreboard.com/ - I'm not sure if it has WP functionality or not.

11. SLWebDesign

SLWebDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello!
    Overall I like the blog, I think you should include a header, or introduction paragraph, where you sum up what your blog is all about.
    I like the categories on the home page which divides your articles by sports. Good idea.
    Cheers.

12. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe you have a decent amount of ads, but they are too condensed in one place. As for the rest, I personally don't like the design due it being too open, but that's a preference thing. It appears you have good content but I think you need to work on optimization of the links. Keep that in mind, but keep it up :)

13. adwaitk007

adwaitk007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I changed few things, optimized links. Now I hope this will please you!

14. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your blog does make a good first impression (for me it did anyway). You have a good logo which cannot be said for many websites now-a-days. The Ads you have are all kept together at the top which is great. Too many blogs now-a-days have Ads in every single bit of space they can find which makes the website/blog look desperate.

One feature that really impressed me was the drop down 'Contact Us' form. This is very useful for people wanting to quickly contact you.