SOS - Paypal Chargeback Recd - Need help :((

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by simplyjo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Friends,

After working online as a full time writer for several months and dealing with over 250+ clients, today, for the first time I recd a paypal chargeback. Client did not discuss the issue with me (I didn't do anything wrong) - His articles were delivered, he was happy with our work, content was CS passed and suddenly, we got a chargeback coz his ezines account was suspended (Now, I knw ezines is well known for such crazy whacky stuff - esp when they get loaded with submissions).
    So, what do I do now ? I know paypal prefers the buyer in most cases but I also know they dont refund buyer for 'services' rendered. So I guess my money is safe (Or is it?). Also, will this impact my account in any way (I heard chargebacks are not good and paypal can close your account ?). Anyone else been in same situation before ? Pls guide/help.

Jo

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It happens to me one time when my employer's Paypal account got Limited because of some kind of activity. So they get hold of my $1 and ask me questions.
    I certainly suggest you to answer each question honestly.

3. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Geki. Also, this is not a small amount :( Sum is $105 :(
    Also, when I click to respond - It gives me 3 options - I have shipped the good / I have not shipped and I am giving refund and last one is I have given refund. Their is no other option. The question is not about goods but about services.. so what do I tell Paypal ?

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just tell Paypal that you have already shipped the goods/services.

5. noserver

noserver
    uix_expand uix_collapse

first contact your client who request chargeback IF he submit this, are need continue or want refund?

just refund and all will ok i think, your paypal account will not get closed, BUT if you receive more than 3 times chargeback in one month so maybe paypal will closed your account

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi - If I select that option they ask for tracking no for shipment and delivery service (like fed ex, blue dart..etc..) So what I choose in that ?

7. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thx - Yes he wants refund but it is not my fault at all. I did email him with 2 options - 1) - I will refund if he does not use my articles 2)- I can get his account reinstated.
    Waiting for his reply now.. Coz I dont want to fight - I want to resolve the issue amicably to both parties benefit.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm.... It's different when Paypal got hold of my client's account.
    I think you should tell Paypal that it's a service that you offered, not goods.

9. ekta74

ekta74
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contact paypal via phone and let them know that you actually delivered the service buyer paid for. You can also send a copy of those articles as a "proof" !!

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear that you received that charge back Jo. But there is no need to panic. What you should do is respond to the charge back request through PayPal. Click the "shipped goods" option and explain that you have provided the service you were paid for, when you provided the client with the articles.

As the buyer has initiated a charge back through PayPal I would communicate with the buyer through PayPal. In other words I would not be in a hurry to contact the buyer directly. If PayPal have to make a decision on it, they will look at all the communication that took place between you and the buyer, through PayPal.

You could also try phoning PayPal. You can get the relevant contact number for your area by clicking the "Help" link on the top of the PayPal page, once you are logged in. I recently phoned them regarding a question on my account and they were most helpful and professional.

My experience is that PayPal will often side with the seller when it comes to services, because it is very difficult for a buyer to prove that a service has not been delivered. Unfortunately I was caught out by this on two different occasions, where I made a part payment for a service that was never delivered and PayPal refused to take action against the seller.

Don't worry about it, just respond to the questions directly through PayPal, in an open and honest manner and continually point out that you provided the articles you were paid to write. It would also help if you offered to re-send the buyer copies of the articles again, if for some reason he / she no longer has them.

Good luck with it and please keep us updated.

11. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal.
    I tried the Help section to locate a number in my area but found a US phone number only. I will revert via Paypal itself in shipped good section. Where tracking no is asked for - I will just mention email. Lets see :)

12. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Friends. Good news. Charge back lifted by my client :) He realized ezines does not take off all articles on suspension (Which we know, but he is new so wasn't aware - he thought all work was in vain). He also noticed my articles got his site to Google page 1 so he is very happy now. Thx for all who replied.

13. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Glad to hear it all worked out for you Jo. It's a little late for me to say it now, but what happened is a good reminder that we should always try to look at a situation from the other person's perspective to try, to understand where they are coming from and why they are doing what they are doing.