Sorry for being away a while

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kay, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But we got caught up in that ice storm here and haven't had power for 11 days up until now. There's still electricity trucks all around my area so I expect it to be up and down occasionally but so far so good. I've uploaded picsto my blog of it but they don't do it justice. I only took a handful because I was scared my batteries would run out and I'd need them for insurance pics. Thankfully so far we've had no structural damage and have been much more fortunate that neighbors that had trees fall on their houses and limbs piercing their roofs. One has one that goes from floor to ceiling right through her living room. All in all, a pretty unforgettable experience.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome back Kay and thank you for sharing those dramatic pictures with us. I hope life gets back to normal for you as soon as possible. It looks like you had a rough time of it, but everything should start to get better now.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, good to be back. :) It is at least partially improving. We lost electricity in the early hours of the morning for about six hours today, and I thought "please, not again!" but obviously they're still working day and night to restore power. There are still thousands off and if you're in a remote rural area it's worse because they have well water powered by electric pumps into the house - no electricity, no water. But we're through the worst of it now, I think. :)

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hopefully the worst has passed too Kay. I didn't know the severity of ice storms could be that bad. This coming from someone who hasn't felt winters or even touch snow before. In our safe, little Singapore we only have two seasons and when it rains, it doesn't even last more than a few hours. Sometimes we say that our country is very boring - no typhoons, no earthquakes, no pollution, no traffic jams...no anything. We don't know how lucky we are until we hear news of calamities in other countries.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I didn't either Nazreen. We know of a lady that's 75 who's lived here all her life and never experienced this kind of destruction. We've had intermittent power today with them still trying to fix lines. And even worse, we have a high winds warning now for the early hours of the morning tomorrow until mid afternoon, followed by a line of strong to severe thunderstorms. The weather center's telling us that because trees and tree limbs have been weakened by the ice storm additional damage is now expected from what's rolling in. We're not out of the woods yet unfortunately (no pun intended). With limbs caught in branches a hundred feet up in the air, it's really unsafe to be outside.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What's happening to the world? In my hubby's hometown they also experienced a record 7 degrees and my in-laws said that it's very cold since they're not used to that cold a weather. The coldest that was recorded before that was only 14 degrees in their city. I think that the weather in the world is already so messed up that we're experiencing all of these weather anomalies.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think so too. All the climate change and greenhouse effect we've been hearing about for years but essentially not paying to much attention to seems to be showing its effects now. It's funny, we arrived last year here the day before the worst tornado in fifteen years to hit the area, and some towns around here have simply never recovered from that, then we spent our first anniversary of the move in darkness with this ice storm, again something uncommon.

Today in the early hours a huge limb hit the house and literally shook our bedroom. Thankfully it bounced off and didn't pierce the roof but still, it gave me a terrible fright and I didn't sleep a wink after that. The power keeps going off for hours at a time (while they work on it I assume) but at least I know to expect it to come back on at some point. It's so disruptive though to your routine. I'm stressed out to the eyeballs with it all because I have so much to catch up on and can't get online to do it. Sorry to be a whiner, but I'm just mentally and physically exhausted with the whole deal and still have all that terrible mess to clean up in the yard.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It all sounds very scary Kay. Sounds like a good time to get the family round and cuddled up in front of the TV to watch some movies, when the power is on.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, we all need to de-stress for sure. I was telling hubby yesterday I was feeling really antsy and to steer clear of me because when I'm in that frame of mind, I need to be left alone to work through it. For me that's a stress reaction and the best way to alleviate that will be to clear the backlog I've now got ASAP. One good thing though, I read a few books that were due for review deadlines soon from the publishers because I couldn't do much else by candlelight, so at least those are done and dusted. It's all been a real kick in the teeth overall because I'd finally got myself into a workable routine and now it's all fell apart again. I wish I could just take a week or two off to bum around and enjoy it WITH power LOL.