Something weird is happing with my google ranking

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by rakebackblogger, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Folks,

Something very strange is happening when I search for one of my keywords on google.com.

The keyword is "rakeback" and heres the weird thing.

When I use Chrome as my interent browser and I am signed into gmail and then open up a new tab and do a google.com search on rakeback, I am at position 49.

When I sign out of gmail and search google.com in chrome for rakeback, I am at position 4!!

When I try IE and firefox (logged in and out of gmail), I am at position 49.

Has anyone experienced this before? I got some shock (good shock) when I saw my site at position 4 but now I think its a bug and Im still at 49.. or else it may have something to do with cache and cookies or something??

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I search for "rakeback" in Google.com, your site comes up in position 39. When you search on Google from your own PC, Google is recognising you and is partly tailoring the search results based on your own search history and that's what is distorting the results you are seeing.

3. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Could also depend on which data centre Google is providing you results from, rankings can sometimes be slightly different between them - Fergal's post seems to provide the most likely answer to your issue. Either that, or it's simply a glitch if you have only recently experienced this.

4. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks. Fergals answer makes sense as the others in the top 5 are my main competitors which I search every so often.
    I am no. 10 on yahoo.com so getting somewhere I suppose, even though I must admit I havent put in as much work as I was doing recently due to other business venture that fell through..