Someone isn't paying for services and now is ignoring calls

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by An Alien, Mar 31, 2011.

1. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My dad owns a small company and now he facing a big problem. A customer's CC was invalid and we charge the customer on the day of service. Now the customer is ignoring all calls. The customer owes us about $150 for the car service. What should I do to help out my father, it's very difficult to handle the business all by himself and he has a lot of roles to do (driving, taking reservations, etc) so I'm trying to help him out here because he's already so busy but we also need this problem fixed. What should we do?
    Edit: We have reservations from the customer for the car service as proof.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An Alien do you have the customer's address? If so try sending letters requesting payment, if that doesn't work perhaps you could call to the address and ask for payment (obviously you will need to be careful that you don't put yourself in danger by doing this).

3. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, we do have an address for pick up/drop off that the customer submitted in a reservation, but we don't know if that is the customer's address.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There's one way to find out! Do you plan on calling round there?

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tried asking for legal advice on this?

6. elids1979

elids1979
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think legal advice might cost more than what you can get, unless you have a lawyer friend that can use one of his templates for a request of payments which you should send to the customer's adress.
    Every business encounters clients who cant pay, you can actually learn a bit from this experience in order to change things in your business, for example, if the amount of clients not paying is a real problem (e.g. more of 5% of your revenues) you might want to charge them by credit card.
    If this is a unique case, and the lawyer letter doesn't do the trick, I suggest you forget about it and move on, those things happen in business :)

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that's always the misconception. There are still public attorneys that could help you with little to no payment at all.

8. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That may be your best bet if they are going to completely ignore you. As Fergal said, try going to that place and see if that is their house. If, not, you may want to take it to court. Either way, I hope you get this situation resolved soon :)

9. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think my dad has just ignored it now. He hasn't said anything about it but he seemed frustrated.

10. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But I think unlike your dad, you should not ignore it, Find some way, take some legal advise as With $150 you can do many things for your business. Try to call him, or reach his/her place if possible.

11. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure if I can do it. And it's not a HUGE amount either. It seems too much trouble to go after, mostly because I'm inexperienced.

Also, we've tried calling her many times but no answer. I wish I had a friend who is a lawyer, lol.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In addition to the money you could gain the required experience by chasing this payment. However, as I mentioned earlier you do need to exercise caution.

13. trainee

trainee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

14. flintheart

flintheart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes ignoring such clients will encourage them to repeat such things in future. Try reaching him and have a talk with him regarding this. if still he ignores then go for legal action. As it is important and after that try to sort out the problem from your side liking billing.