Some +ve suggestion for my new forum

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by remonray, Sep 21, 2012.

1. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys,
    I have been very busy this week and will be for some more weeks as I am working on design/management/modding of my new forum.My forum is usual admin/webmasters forum but it is only for Nepali(my nation people).

Though there are lots of admin forums running in the web, people from my nation aren't so involved in such forums. Maybe, the reason can be the existing webmasters forums in the web are far more ahead/people from my nation doesn't have that good english. So,I thought of creating 1st and new webmaster forum the people of my country where people will get chance to discuss about programming/web stuffs/forums,etc. in English/understandable English or even in Nepali. So, my main focus will be towards people inside my nation and letting them join the discussion.

Although it is forum for a region(Nepali) people, I will to develop it as a global community but focusing Nepali. So, what can I do to target my nation people and make them join my forums?Will I be focusing on contents/quantity/advertisement/seo stuffs? And, what do you have to say about look and composition of my forum?

Forum : www.nepaliadmins.com/forum or www.nepaliforums.com

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

remonray having been to Nepal I would love to have a look at your forum. However, unfortunately neither of those domains are opening for me?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The links are opening now and the forum looks great remonray. I do like that phpBB forum design and have considered using it myself for another project. Some suggestions below;

• You should probably redirect nepaliadmins.com to nepaliadmins.com/forum/, so that visitors to that domain can still view your site.
    • When I visit a forum I like to be able to click the logo to be brought back to the forum home page. You should probably link your logo to your home page.
    Overall I really like the site and I wish you every success with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Currently I am on free hosts so I am having problems with them.
    But now it is fixed and you can check it :)

(edit after seeing next post)
    I like this theme so I use it but still it creates lots of problem in installing mods and most of the mods needs manual script edits.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will be fixing them in some minutes by checking tutorials in phpbb.

5. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi remonray

I checked your site and it looks very professional. (I got the same site from both links, is that right?) I think the header could be a little more interesting, though.

Here's the part that concerns me. It could be that if people from your nation don't frequent many forums, that it is because they are not online, or not online visiting forums at all. Which means the focus of your forum will be too specific and may not generate enough traffic.

If you truly want to engage people from your nation, I would try adding a few more general categories in order to stimulate participation from non-technical backgrounds, just in case. Not everyone is a webmaster and without more categories, other potential visitors might just leave.

In any case, good luck with your new forum!

• Like Like x 2
  6. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Denise for the suggestion and feedback.
    There is some general forums already running in my nation like : forum.xnepali.net , chautari.org/forums , forum.welovenepal.com and quite more. So, I will be targeting the forumers around there who are interested in tech stuffs. Plus, I have sent mail to those forums for putting ad-links but there is still no reply and I am not sure what next I am doing to promote it.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

None of those Nepali forums that you list remonray are really big and I would assume that Internet access and usage in Nepal is growing quite significantly. Those two facts would suggest that perhaps there is a strong opportunity to create a really large Nepali forum.

• Like Like x 1
  8. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, not only forums but there aren't any good hosting company/domain registrar or any good eCommerce site. So I will be working on all these stuffs in future. If I could run a good forum it will be very helpful to advertise them.

Guys keep in suggesting :) or if anything should be added?

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

remonray what is access to the Internet and broadband like in Nepal? Is it improving? Is the government helping in this area?

10. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We have unstable government plus this year it couldn't pass the yearly budget too so from the sector of government there is no expectation. But yea, broadband internet is improving and many private companies are raising also telecom companies are interested in giving broadband services now a days. Lot of Nepali know internet as only facebook/twitter and some are in blogging field.
    To view Nepal internet development: www.harilo.com www.esewa.com.np www.cybersansar.com are some leading sites.
    The highest internet speed provided is : 10MBPS.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If Internet access is increasing there may be opportunities to develop communities and other sites that target Nepali people. Boards.ie is an Irish discussion forum that has been hugely successful, perhaps you could build something similar for Nepal?

12. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That board is clean and it seems it is codded manually, I can't code like all this. But the idea is somehow like that,
    They have many Sites: adverts.ie boardsdeals.ie daft.ie rent.ie property.ie thejournal.ie

I also want to run many sites according to needs of people and the way is long, I am just learning languages at the moment.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Don't let that stop you. Boards.ie runs on vBulletin and the design you see on the site now, was only added in the last couple of months. Here's what they looked like in 2001.

• Like Like x 1
  14. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal for the link. I will be using similar like this in archive for my next general board with various category after I get this admin board up...

15. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally don't like phpbb but with honest review your forum color combination as well look is good but the CMS isn't.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What is it about phpBB that you don't like?

17. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing I would work on is your logo. You should get a web 2.0 or more professional looking on up. You should also get some new forum icons. Maybe your background could be a picture of Nepal. There really is nothing there that tells me your forum is about Nepal.

• Like Like x 1
  18. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for this suggestion. I am waiting for a good logo, that is just text in css. Well, icons and background picture will be my next move after I do have some activity/promotion.

19. hatdivi

hatdivi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would try adding a few more general categories in order to stimulate participation from non-technical backgrounds, just in case.