Some tips for start-up companies

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by nancydo, Sep 5, 2013.

1. nancydo

nancydo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi everyone,

Here is some of the best startup advice I’ve heard or given (mostly heard) for start-up companies. Hope that these recommendations will be helpful to you in some extent.

1. Make something people want.

2. A great team and a great market are both critically important—you have to have both. The debate about which is more important is silly.

3. Set a clear, easy-to-understand vision for your company, and make it be a mission people believe in.

4. Stay focused and don’t try to do too many things at once. Care about execution quality.

5. Obsess about the quality of the product.

6. Speed is one of your main advantages over large companies, thus move as fast as possible.

7. Hire slow; fire fast. Hiring is the most important thing you do; spend at least a third of your time on it.

8. Hire smart and effective people that are committed to what you’re doing. The last five words there are important.

9. You can create value with breakthrough innovation, incremental refinement, or complex coordination. Great companies often do two of these. The very best companies do all three.

10. You can win with the best product, the best price, or the best experience.

11. Remember that you are more likely to die because you execute badly than get crushed by a competitor.

12. On the really bad days, remember that tomorrow will be better—it’s hard to see it being much worse!

13. Keep a to-do list every day. At the top of it, put the one or two big things you want to work on.

14. Have a culture that rewards output.

15. Good investors are worth a reasonable premium.

16. A lot of the best ideas seem silly or bad initially—you want an idea at the intersection of “seems like bad idea” and “is good idea”.

17. Startups should require as few miracles & lucky as possible, but at least one.

18. In general, don’t start a startup you’re not willing to work on for ten years.

19. Over-communicate with your team. For some reason most founders are really bad at this one. Transparency is your friend.

20. Don’t let your company be run by a sales guy. But do learn how to sell your product.

Feel free to add your comments here so that this article will be more fully informative!

http://www.magebuzz.com/blog

• Like Like x 1
  2. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

really good tips for those people who interested to start a company but don;t have enough knowledge thanks for sharing great information

3. HomeBiz Success

HomeBiz Success
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I enjoyed reading your tips. Very uplifting and motivating. You sound experienced or at least well read. I can tell you have a lot more to say so I would suggest you do it on a blog or in an ebook. Folks would be willing to pay a few dollars for it so there's some extra income in it for you.

#3 HomeBiz Success, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. Gisele B.

Gisele B.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would add to hire people who have the same values as you do.

5. J Greig

J Greig
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

These are great tips for anyone starting their own business. However, I don't agree with your first point:

I find that if you can offer a service that is already saturated, but is something you can improve on in terms of support, speed, reliability and cost, you can then go on to succeed int hat chosen field. You don't always have to offer something people want, just improve on what's already there.

6. sanjsharma

sanjsharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business starting is not eassy task but when you strong support then its going well.

When your service is very helplfull then peoples are comming toword you.

:dunno:

7. nancydo

nancydo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's good for start-up companies because when you provide something that a majority of consumers are requiring, you will have more chances to be successful!

8. OlegLola

OlegLola
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I guess you should find the way which will make you unique and keep it! That's the key which will make you on the higher stage with no competitors.

9. lilyhollies

lilyhollies
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition: Get angel investing or crowd funding :D
    Also you could consider entering into pitching competitions

10. Autofits

Autofits
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One important thing that every start-up should realize is that there will be many factors that might get you down. It is important to stay focused on your aim. If you have decided in your mind that you can achieve something, then you can for sure. Just go your own way and with time make sure that you are the best.

11. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have mentioned the key points and they are most important points, first of all, thank you so much for your article. And yes, customer satisfaction and genuine service does matters in business culture with a great supporting team.

12. Dexterbell

Dexterbell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh very well all these tips are very good and very helpful to me thanks for sharing these tips.

13. matthewgayle

matthewgayle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It’s a really useful tips and advice. It will be helpful for me in future. Thanks for sharing this information.