Some advice please

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Local33, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Local33

Local33
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My wife is a hair stylist and was just offered a job as a consultant for a new hair salon
    that is opening up. Her new perspective boss asked her to write a business plan basically
    outlining everything he needs to start his business. is this a normal thing to ask a
    consultant for before a employment contract is signed? If she hands him everything
    couldn't he just take her work and decide not to hire her after all.

How should we proceed with out offending him.

thanks

2. J Greig

J Greig
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Just ask if there is any possible way for a contract to be signed before work is handed over. Although if this hair salon is legit, then there would be no reason for him to 'steal' the work and not hire her. Have the work checked over by a solicitor and have a copy made.

You should be safe enough that way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Local33, thanks for joining. I would expect that there are not many consultants who would complete a business plan, without having an agreement in place to get paid for it. I agree with J Greig's suggestion of asking the employer to sign a contract before the business plan is written and handed over. Another option would be to agree a separate payment for the business plan, so that your wife at least gets paid for that work.

Good luck with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course the normal procedure is hand over the plan after sign the contract but many employer like to get the plan before sign the contact because they want to know your plan before hiring you. If this happen to me, i will just submit the draft plan without the details for their reference before sign the contact

5. Jack Simmons

Jack Simmons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contract should be signed first before work should be done that way she will not troubled about contracts and just focuse on the task at hand...

6. masterbizcoach

masterbizcoach
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, there should be a contract before she start making a business plan. That's the only way to secure her business plan.

7. renegadeleader

renegadeleader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The only answer for that is to have a contract. That's it.

8. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all don't give him anything. If he wants to judge capabilities of your wife, its better she gives him a small presentation not covering the main ideas but just a brief summary of the ideas she will be working on!
    Look I was a victim of this myself. People just take ideas from smart people for free and implement.

9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Local - I agree with most of the comments above. It does seem a little unusual. I would definitely seek clarification before committing to that amount of work and / or seek payment for the plan... if he's serious then he will see this point of view. M.

10. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would advise to never give something like that unless you have signed a contract stating your responsibilities and duties as a consultant.

BUT - instead of giving nothing, you can actually give an overview of the business and a quick marketing research on how to get the business growing. Some sort of impressing the boss first. If course you want to make sure that you can secure the job, and that you are not going to give anything like a resource or a plan for free.

11. pawee

pawee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just like everyone said, she should not give the business plan. But if her future employer tells her that its the way to prove her skills and what she can do for the company, provide other materials that can be of proof and maybe mention her achievements in her previous company.