Some advice on my new forum

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by silent_thunder, Oct 27, 2008.

1. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have done many websites before but never dared to start a forum!! As running a forum requires a lot more than just technical or content knowledge.So I request BAF members to give advice to improve my forum.

Its http://sportscrazyforum.com I havent launched the website yet but the website is almost ready to launch working on a template if its done its all set to go before that I want to know what topics to include,what features do you like and what should I do to promote it thanks

Silent_thunder:)

2. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Possibly add in American Football, baseball, golf. Some, like curling, maybe a bit out there. Does the rest of the world do bowling?

3. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would Like to but I have no clue about the sports that you have just mentioned!! How can I add content or atleast get people for these content..I just dont a whole lot of forums with no posts in it:D

Will look Like a lost world

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the colors, silent thunder! You do have a few typos you might want to fix:

should be :

Every other sport that you can think of!! It doesn't matter if it's indoor sports, outdoor sports, adventure sports...just about any sports discussion goes in here.

should say "everything".

I agree with pendelton, you need an American football one to differentiate it from soccer, otherwise you'll get threads for both in that folder. Are you aiming for any particular geographic region at all? What's popular in one country may not be in another, that's why I ask.

To promote it, you could go join other sports forums and put the link to it in your profile and sig. Don't spam them though, make some decent posts and people will check you out. Any sites you're already a member of, add your link to it in your sig if that's allowed.

Rope in friends and family to help you get it started with some posts then go from there.

There's a place called theadminzone which is specifically for forum owners. It has a Community Cooperative section where you can post asking for help with your forum and whether it's paid or unpaid.

A lot of young ones hang out there that have forums of their own or are looking for something to do so usually you'll get some offers of help. It wouldn't do any harm to join there and post a thread. There's older members as well.

Be sure though you follow the templates and guide at the top of the folder for requesting staff or you'll find yourself in hot water. :) Hope that helps!

5. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

wow!! thanks for your guidance kay looks like you are a pro in forum business.I had Asia as the geographic target. Its less expensive and competitive to promote on-line in Asian circle than in Europe or the America's they seem to have a plethora of forums.

With booming economies Asian are bound get on-line in a big way . So banking on that.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it's Asia then I think it would be good to concentrate on sports that Asians love. In Singapore and Malaysia, we love soccer, badminton and table tennis. In China, they also like badminton and table tennis.

I don't know if your topic/subject is too general though because for one sport like badminton, there are already a lot of things to talk about. You can check Badminton Central Forum. This is a good forum to discuss anything about badminton.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Congratulations and good luck with your new forum. I've signed up and made a few posts, including a couple of suggestions. It's a good domain name and the forum is user-friendly. Forums are difficult to grow and take a lot of time to manage. Be careful not to let spammers take over, or you will lose your real members.

Is there anything you can do to make the forum URL's more user-friendly? The ones on your forum are very long and will not help your search engine listings, you might be able to find a PHPBB mod to help with this.

8. youbetcha1018

youbetcha1018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What a nice forum. I will sign up in a bit.:D Just too busy now, anyway Can you put Billiards there, too? I play billiards and want to meet some friends who are in billiards too in your forum. Thanks.:)

9. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can add all the sports but If there are more users!! If I add them now the forums will look empty and will look in active:)

Billards,snooker and pool can be clubbed together.

As we speak I am changing the structure of phpbb3's URL fergal. I have installed over 150 bots from Diff SE so indexing wont be a problem, But SEO friendly URL is!! Trying to get a decent URL.The MODS available are not Useful as they tend to be poorly coded. My friend is developing two mods one for falshing headlines and the other is SEO URL

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update Silent.

Have you started promoting the forum yet?

11. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope havent started it!! Planning to hire some posters to post is it good to hire posters??

Plan to get the friends involved too

fergal you are expert in forums??

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Silent, but I'm not sure that I could claim to be an expert. Paying posters can work well for a new forum. Personally I'd recommend hiring only a small number of posters to make a small number of posts each per day. This helps keep the forum more natural than if you pay for lots of posts and it also helps your budget. You might also consider some form of competition to encourage new members to join and start posting.

Another thing that is very important, is that you are interested in and active on the forum yourself. Members will expect you to reply to their posts.

13. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had arranged for an proxy admin!! I cannot spend too much time on the forum So I asked my friend to be the admin. :D

I am planning to hire people from my town, Who are desperate for some money,they need it for college so planned to hire them instead of professional posters, dont know whether I will get the quality of professional posters but I am sure they will be more lyal than posters once the term gets over

14. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys new style has been installed waiting for the members review. I designed it, have to refine it a bit more as it take a while to lead on Dail up..apart from that no problem yet..

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looking good, Silent! It's loading fine for me and I'm on dial up out here in the sticks. :) I signed up too to help get your numbers rolling and will add a few posts when I have a moment.

It's crucial that your admin's actively involved as Fergal says - if the admin doesn't show much interest, you can't expect anyone else to!

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The new style looks great, congratulations and good luck with it.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sad to say that it's taking forever for your site to load Silent_thunder. I'm using broadband and your site just timed-out. Maybe it's a regional problem where users here in Singapore will have difficulty in accessing your site.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The site just opened very fast for me, maybe it was a temporary issue?

19. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tried it again today on mine twice at different times and it was fine for me. It could well just have been a glitch, Nazreen, because you don't get any slower than mine. Ah, the joy of living in the country. :)

Meant to add, I received the welcome PM three times in my inbox, Silent. You might want to look at that. :)

#19 Kay, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  20. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope havent started yet!! Waiting for the SEO mods and new games to be ready