Social site

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Matt, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was just wondering what are your opinions of social sites like twitter and Facebook. Is it really worth all the effort to always be updating it? I used it for my last website and did not see any type of activity level go up. It pretty much stayed like normal. What are your opinions about it?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

It can be worth it, if done correctly. Using Social Media in your marketing efforts is just like any other marketing. It's a lot more than just setting up an account and occasionally posting something on it. You need to have a plan on what your desired result is, and what you need to do to get that result. Check out the thread that Fergal suggested, and you will get a better idea of what's involved.

4. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you both for replying. I will check out that thread. Thanks again :)

5. onlinemarketing

onlinemarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Well Facebook and Twitter is a good tool to connect and network with others to share views. ollowing the right people on Facebook and Twitter is the key.

Thanks

6. Transcribe

Transcribe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Social sites are helpful in connecting with people and businesses you like. Also you can drive traffic through these sites.

7. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joseph makes an epic point that many, many website owners (or any soul attempting to break into SM) is that you must remain active. You can't simply post (or set up an account) and leave. The sheer volume of traffic that goes through the likes of Twitter and Facebook should definitely be tapped into.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Linked In hasn't been mentioned in this thread. It's a great site for keeping in contact with your business network, very helpful for reconnecting with people that you have done business with or worked with in the past.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are right. It will took a lot of time to get fan pages getting active and having a lot of fans.
    Take for instance my blog's fan page. I made it nearly a year ago to get traffic from Facebook. But it took at least 6 months to make it active with fans commenting and visiting my blog.

And if you can say that you have lots of fans, but you are not getting enough traffic from it. Please do remember that NOT all your fans who visit your fan page clicks on your links pointing to your site.

I suggests being active on it most of the time. Ask questions, reply to your fans' comments, or post images relating to your subject.

10. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think one of the problems I had with it is I wasn't consistent. :( I will try and be more consistent and do updates there more often :)

11. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes consistency is needed while you work. Either on social networking sites or on other link building strategies. Twitter is an excellent business platform and you just need the right way to use it. Follow people of your niche. Visit their updates and also post regular updates. They will be checking out your updates. This is a nice way to get traffic and increase ones knowledge. So go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a big fan of social media sites and they work pretty good so far now most of the social sites have closed like propeller.On twitter you must have active followers.Also try stumble for traffic but they dont buy anything from your site.They are just like nonstop road traffic.

13. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, as I have been looking around and it does seem like you can get a whole lot of traffic from these. I will be using it as a tool for promotion :)

14. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I would say YES, Social media sites like Facebook and Twitter works great for any business but initially it requires continue updates and activities.

15. bennett

bennett
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting information from Compete.com that shows Facebook surging past MySpace in Monthly Unique Visitors and that Twitter has moved from #22 to #3 in the rankings of the top 25 social networking sites by monthly visits.
    Facebook is now the most visited social network, with nearly 1.2 billion visits in January 2009. That is an increase of 36% over December, and 256% over the previous twelve months. MySpace slipped into second place at the end of 2008 and since September of that year has been seeing visits levelling at about 810 thousand a month.