Social Service Jobs

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by BridgeLL, Sep 26, 2012.

1. BridgeLL

BridgeLL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey everyone,

So the slump in the economy has forced a steep rise in social welfare programs. (Although public health programs probably need it more, but that is another topic.) Keeping this in mind, do you think it is a wise choice to seek employment in these fields? (I am trying to decide what to major in)

The reason I ask, is because I just read this article detailing social rewards to be reaped from a career in community service. I know this kind of weird to some people, but this is actually a hugely growing profession. (Hugely growing? Does that sound weird to anyone else? Maybe it's just me...)

Anyway, before I get derailed, I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought and if anyone here has worked in a community service career?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My opinion is that a carer in the health or social services has to be a vocation, otherwise it would be extremely difficult to work in such a challenging environment. If it is work that would give you meaning and you feel a desire to help others, then it can be extremely rewarding and purposeful work.

I've never been employed in those areas, but people close to me are. For them it is something they are dedicated to, they make a substantial contribution to help others and they achieve a great sense of meaning, purpose and reward from their work, as a result.

3. BridgeLL

BridgeLL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you so much for your quick reply! And you confirmed exactly what I was thinking, it can a challenging field, but for those who love it, there are numerous benefits to reap.