So my goal isn't about work

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's more about feeling good about myself and since this folder's about personal success I think it's ok to mention here. I've added too many pounds this year by being too sedentary and am determined to take them off. I'm aiming for twenty pounds by the first of June and have started it today since it's my birthday so I'll remember where to count from. Wish me luck! :D

2. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Happy Birthday Kay:) Wish you best of luck:)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Happy birthday Kay and best of luck with your goals. It's better not to try to lose weight too quickly. Losing a pound or even half a pound a week is excellent. When you're loosing weight you are not putting it on, so there is a double benefit, even if you only lose it very slowly.

Getting outside for a nice walk everyday, is a great way to feel better and to feel happier, to boot. You live in the countryside so that would make it even more enjoyable.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks guys! I was trying to be sensible, Fergal. I was counting roughly 5 months x 4 weeks = 20 weeks so a pound a week. I've dropped weight before very fast but it was too fast and unhealthy.

If I'm eating healthily, everyone is whether they need to or not LOL. They're already pleading starvation. Even the dogs are complaining.

They keep eyeing the dinner table thinking there has to be some scraps up there I forgot about then they get tired of waiting and come over whining and pawing at me. And that's only the men around here. ;)

You're right about getting out! I was saying that to Mike. I'm up from 5.30am until 1 am working and am lucky if I cross the door for an hour a day. I badly need to get more fresh air.

5. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Way to go Kay. Taking care of one's physical body feeds one's mental body. They go hand in hand - so I'm sure your business will also grow...

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's one helluva long day, where do you get the energy? You do need to look after yourself.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks flashgordonweb. :) It's way overdue, that's for sure. I've never been this heavy in my life and am putting a stop to it right now. :) I know it'll make me feel better mentally too.

Well, usually I'm okay for about a month and then one evening I'll crash and burn and sleep 14-16 hours straight. Then I'm okay again. Energy comes directly from the coffeepot. I know, I lead a very unhealthy life when it comes to looking after myself. Right now though there's no time to be standing still. The only time I do is when I'm too ill to work. I just got used to the short sleeping hours over time but when I lay down, I can sleep no problem. It's all on my "balance" list. The weight's first, then a better routine's next. :)

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Belated Happy Birthday Kay. Sorry that I was late in greeting you.. was quite busy with our new flat and shopping for lighting fixtures, curtains, etc. :)

Me too, I gained 5 kg since I got married. That's why I signed up for a combination of aerobic dance and yoga in the hope that I could also lose weight.

Aside from exercise, I've read somewhere that proper eating habits is also a good way to shed off those extra pounds. If we skip meals or don't eat regularly, our metabolism will go down and become fatter instead. So this means that 3 or 4 small meals a day is much better than eating 2 big meals twice a day. We must also cut down on our junk food such as potato chips and softdrinks.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good to see that you are working on getting some balance into your life Kay. Ask yourself what will your health be like in 10yrs time, if you keep working those hours, fueled on caffeine.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was reading that too. I find it hard to eat breakfast but am trying to get into the 3 a day routine. Special K, ugh LOL. Good luck with it all! How's the flat, everything coming along ok? Must be exciting. :)

I know, Fergal...that's why I'm trying to change things. I've done it for the last year or more and am feeling it. Yesterday I got out and worked on the yard which is over an acre burning leaves and so on and I felt tired but really good after it. That's what I need to be doing more. My husband said that's the first time he's seen me looking relaxed in a long time. I used to spend a lot of time working in the garden and enjoying it but it got pushed aside the busier I got. Time to ease it all back in. :D

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with it all Kay. It's great to hear that you are progressing in the right direction.

12. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A goal is a goal. :D

Belated Happy Birthday. :)

You'll do great, I know.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, Swastik! :)

I had my first weigh in today because I'd decided once a week was enough but couldn't hold out until tomorrow. I've lost six pounds, so I'm tickled to be off to a good start. Just had to share that! :D

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow! 6 pounds is a lot Kay. You're way ahead schedule! Congrats and keep up the good work.

Can you share with us the exercises that you did and also if you're observing any particular diet?

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent news Kay, well done. Don't expect to lose as much in the next week, that would just not be healthy.

16. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exercise - none. Burned leaves in the yard one day and that was it. Diet, nothing in particular, just commonsense really. Plenty of fruit and veg and salads and none of the rubbish I usually munch on like cookies. I've really been conscious of what I eat for a change and not spending the day rifling the cupboards whenever I pass by the kitchen.

Thanks! No, I don't expect to and will be sensible. I went to Weight Watchers decades ago and they told us you can lose it fast in the first week or even two and then it'll slow right down to a pound or two weekly so I'm not expecting any great shakes next week. :)

17. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Three more pounds down this week. :D I don't mean to bore you all to death but it means a lot to me and I want to share it. And honestly, I'm eating more than I ever did and regularly. It's just the right things this time.

But I could have murdered a cheesecake earlier tonight...

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your achievements with us Kay. Well done :)

19. chuckmanley83

chuckmanley83
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If cheesecake was always around, we'd all be a lot pudgier!

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Job well done Kay! I think I'll also emulate you in eating more healthily. I couldn't seem to control myself in eating chocolates and if I had a cheesecake, it wouldn't last the night before it got murdered and no evidence of it will be left. Even the CSI team will have a hard time finding any trace of it. :D