Small family business in need of advice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JEllis, Jun 26, 2018.

1. JEllis

JEllis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My Grandmother owns a sub/sandwich shop in a small gas station plaza that has been running just shy of 40 years. My Mother is the manager of the shop. It has been mentioned to me that the shop has not been doing so well in the past year. So unwell that my Grandma (owner) has been having to put some of her social security money into keep it going. A major reason is construction on the roads. One of the two roads is completely closed. Traffic so bad that noone wants to come into the plaza anymore. They have advertised delivery to help accommodate but it hasn't helped. Theres no money coming in so theres no hope in moving to a new location. The business hasn't necessarily been bustling before all of this but well enough to support itself and my family members who work there. I'd hate for my Grandma and my Mom to lose the shop. So im coming on here to seek advice on ideas to help the situation. Maybe theres something we haven't thought of.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Knight

Chris Knight
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I noticed recently iwhere our wood flooring shop is located that a person walks around everyday selling sandwiches.....they have one of those movie style trays......once you get to know their timetable you find yourself buying the odd sandwich......

if they are working on the roads they must have a canteen facility....maybe worth calling there everyday for a week or so and see if they start buying.

just an idea for you
    good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julia Sta Romana

Julia Sta Romana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"They have advertised delivery to help accommodate but it hasn't helped. "

Where and how did they advertise?

Maybe your advertisement didn't reach the right audience or your usual clients.

Have you considered trying other low cost marketing options? Like social media? Or have you tried putting up flyers in nearby businesses or residential communities?

Advertising doesn't work when you don't know who your customers are. Even if you spend millions in advertising, you're not going to get any sales if you're marketing to the wrong people.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Naresh Kumar

Naresh Kumar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can add up more option like pizza, burger, and coffee and start home delivery, it could be a better option with the sandwiches. This way you can grow your sales and establish your business in a short span of time. It will need some advertisement nearby places.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BFEditing

BFEditing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Naresh. Add another feature and offer delivery within a certain radius. You could get someone to deliver it on their bike or by car.

6. aliciapaul

aliciapaul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you said that they advertise for the delivery. How they advertise?
    I think you should resolve this issue by doing small promotional activities in high traffic areas like putting banners, flyposting etc.

7. ivanchung2018

ivanchung2018
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Julia. Think about marketing to the right people with the social media and put some special or attractive advertisement nearby places. Good luck.

8. Mrbiller

Mrbiller
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Come out the concept of Brick and mortar kitchen and digitalize your Business,have an online invoice system like mrbiller.com or similar to manage your clients and sales cost in one place .Have an interactive menu and one delivery scooter. Find how to add value to your 10Km Readouse clients. Have some ideation process

Would you buy take away food once a week?

If yes, how you want

How quick you want

What they want

How much they willing to pay

Have some combo deal

Sales are always " adding value to your clients "So think why are you there for? Good luck

9. Kimimk

Kimimk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If people can't walk into your restaurant,You can deliver pizza to people's homes, offices, anywhere customers are.Delivery pizza service may be one solution to your current problem.The shop doesn't need so many waiters and waitresses, so it can use existing people to deliver food.

10. Fred Anthony

Fred Anthony
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you have your previous consumer contact information? Start your advertisement from them. offer them discount and home delivery service. You can also target lookalike audience through social media within your radius.

11. bluepacific

bluepacific
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A mobile stall on a trailer would be a way to go if that applies to the local law. Also, as many people suggested, home delivery service is good idea.