Small Business Site with Client Login/Portal

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by BaseplanMike, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BaseplanMike

BaseplanMike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are a small consulting business and currently, our web site is hosted by Bell Canada and it was designed using their EasySiteWizard design tool.

I'm looking for the best options going forward for:
    - Regular web site design and features: including blog, news feed, social media links and potential sample documents or instructional videos. It appears that many free sites such as Wordpress or Joomla (or even the Bell wizard that we currently use) can serve this purpose.
    - I'd like to use Zoho for project management for our customers. The Zoho functions used would be reports, charts, documents and calendars/tasks. For our clients, it would be ideal for them to log into our web site and access the reports that we produce for them (that are actually housed in Zoho) embedded in the pages in their area. Even better would be for them to access calendar, task or milestone functionality through our site, but I'm doutful that's possible.
    - Our clients wouldn't just see PDFs of their reports. Rather, they would see entire web pages that represent their report pages, with embedded text and/or charts. I see numerous examples of "interactive" charts online these days - from Java (I think), to Tableau, to Zoho to Google Docs.

Anyway, I'm just looking for a good structure to have not only a good standard web site for marketing, a bit of research, news and social media purposes, but also a personalized login area for each client. Perhaps I'd have to resort to directing each client to log into Zoho separately, or maybe I can engineer it so they can log in and see the results of their Zoho reports embedded in their private area on our site.

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry if this doesn't make a whole lot of sense - I'm a bit new to this design thing...

2. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Regular web site design and features: including blog, news feed, social media links and potential sample documents or instructional videos. It appears that many free sites such as Wordpress or Joomla (or even the Bell wizard that we currently use) can serve this purpose."
    this would be the best structure to have for an online business for marketing. Also the reports, that would be helpful.

3. Geek_ken

Geek_ken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are not looking for a overhaul, you can utilize various plugins available in the market. For blog, you can start a new blog at wordpress, tumblr and others. For social media plugin, you can use already available social login, social sharing plugins like loginradius.com for your website. Similarly, you can use other plugins for the required purpose. I have personally used these plugins and found them quite useful.
    Finally, the decision depends how much overhaul you need:)

4. BaseplanMike

BaseplanMike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK, maybe I'll make it simpler.

As a consulting agency, our "product" is a business plan. This is normally a document (for example, in PDF format) that is emailed to clients. It would be great instead to have clients log into our site and access the document on their web pages. Sure, the document could be downloaded, but it would be great to see their pages integrated into the site. Kind of like how you log into a Human Resources site and pick your work benefits (Medical, dental, etc.)

Furthermore, a big part of our "product" is execution of that business plan. This involves calendars, tasks and milestones. There are a number of CRM/Project web sites that offer this kind of thing, and Zoho seems pretty good. I'd hate to have clients log into our site though, then have to log in again to Zoho. I realize that charts and things can be embedded from Zoho into our site, but I'm not sure about the calendar/task functions.

Anyway, thanks, and any further advice is appreciated.